harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Professional Harpists » looking for . . .

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

looking for . . .

• Kay
    Kay Lister

a REALLY simple selection of Christian music for a brand new adult student.  She comes with SOME of the basics of music as far as recognizing notes, symbols and such.  I'm looking for a 1 or 2 finger rt. hd melody with very little lft. hd. for now or something along those lines.  She is just VERY anxious to "Play" something.

Kay

replies to "looking for . . ."
    • Sherry
      Sherry Lenox

Kay have you looked at Sam Milligan's Fun From the First??

• Patricia
      Patricia Jaeger

Popular Hymns, Primer Level, arranged by James Bastien, for piano, is published by Neil A. Kjos Music Co. in San Diego, California, cat.no. WP226. The 13 hymns included are in large print, in key of C, and most also have an accompaniment part printed in regular size, nearby for the teacher. All you need to do is change a bit of the printed fingering  with "correction tape" and insert harp fingering. Once your student has mastered some of these easy hymn arrangements, you could make more arrangements from favorite selections of your student, on manuscript paper. These could be customized to her ability, with gradual challenges contained to increase her skills.

• Catherine
      Catherine Rogers

Sylvia Woods' "Hymns and Wedding Music for All Harps" has simple arrangements which you can adapt for your student.

• J
      J Valentine

In the beginning, which was just two years ago, I used my son's beginning piano books for fun on my own. These were from Madonna Woods Piano Course for Christians. You would have to change the fingerings. I used the supplementary books. She has ones with gospel, Christmas, meet the composers, patriotic and Sunday school songs.

For Christmas, a wonderful book is by Daniel Burton in his Easy Harp series. These are easy but yet pretty.

(Not sure what my harp teacher would have thought of these books. My actual harp lesson was out of the Sylvia Woods beginning book and I played a hymn from a hymnbook on the piano to help me get back into site reading, etc. It had been over 30 years for me.)

I totally understand her desire to play something. That is why I got the old beginning piano books out.

Maybe this will work.