harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Harps and Accessories » Aoyama Saul or one of the Dusty...

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

Aoyama Saul or one of the Dusty Harps with 26 strings?

• Wil
    Wil Weten

Would you please enlighten me on your experiences with the following lap harps (mainly for traveling purposes)?

The lowest string on the Aoyama and the Salvi is G (below middle C), while the Dusty harps strings go to C (below middle C), so the Dusty harps seem to have a definite advantage, but what about the sound (in the course of time) and the construction? I will listen to all these lap harps before I make my decision, but I won't be able to compare them at the same time. I started harp lessons on  the 22 string Camac Troubadour (lowest string middle C) and though the sound wasn't exactly great, I ever regretted selling it when I upgraded to a 'mature' lever harp.

Regards,

- Sign in to comment
    replies to "Aoyama Saul or one of the Dusty Harps with 26 strings?"
    • Jennifer
      Jennifer Buehler

FWIW, I think the Dustys are huge.  They weigh nearly as much as my 36 string Thormahlen Serenade.  They're also bigger than lap harp size. 

What are you playing now and what are you looking for in a lap harp?

Jennifer

- Sign in to comment
    • Wil
      Wil Weten

Hi Jennifer,

I've got a second hand Camac lever harp 38 strings, like this one: http://www.cpm-ge.ch/photo%20harpe.jpg and a second hand Salvi lever harp 34 strings 'Heather'  like this one: http://web.mac.com/kimberlyharp1/iWeb/houstonharp/Rental%20Harps.html.

Both are strung with gut and I am fond of both. I bought the Heather harp mainly for traveling (by bus), but practically speaking, it is a bit too large for that and it does not easily fit in a cupboard. The Aoyama Saul (25 strings) and the Salvi Eire (23 strings) are much smaller, but they both lack the lower F (G below middle C is their lowest string). The Dusties with 26 strings (C below middle C is lowest) seem rather huge indeed, but unless I am mistaken, they come with drop-out legs that seem to make playing rather comfortable to me. So I wonder how people think about these harps.

Regards,

- Sign in to comment
    • Jennifer
      Jennifer Buehler

Ken Matthews here on this forum plays a Ravenna that he loves.  You should be able to look him up in the profiles and email him for more info.  The sound will be quite a bit different than your gut strung harps but I think that size wise it would work for you.

Jennifer

- Sign in to comment
    • Saul
      Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Just you know, I am not getting one cent in royalties from Aoyama for using my name.

- Sign in to comment
    • Jerusha
      Jerusha Amado

Saul,

I love your sense of humor!!

Jerusha

- Sign in to comment
    • Steven
      Steven Chuo

Hi Wil,

I'm just wondering, is the model of your 38 strings Camac lever harp "Petite Classique"? I looked at the picture and realized it's the same as mine. I was trying to find the name of that model because I have that harp, too, but then didn't know the model name. My strings are starting to wear out, and it's time to get new set of strings, so where could I get a complete set of strings for Camac Petite Classique? I heard Camac has their own special strings for their own harps, so I'm kind of wondering if this model is restricted to the Camac strings or any type of strings is fine.

Thank you,

- Sign in to comment