harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Harps and Accessories » harp covers

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

harp covers

• Misty
    Misty Harrison

Anybody make a transport harp cover that's not bright blue?

- Sign in to comment
    replies to "harp covers"
    • Catherine
      Catherine Rogers

I think the Salvi ones are burgundy and the Camac ones are black. Then there is Four Seasons where you can order the color you want.

- Sign in to comment
    • Misty
      Misty Harrison

Just looked at the Four Seasons website. Has anyone used one of these covers before? What are they like?

- Sign in to comment
    • Christian
      Christian Frederick

Yes.... I'm very pleased. I love her padded covers. On my last order, I had her add a strip that fits tightly around the base of my L&H 30. It fits perfect and protects the exterior of the base.

So my rating is AAA+.........

http://harpcovers.com/

- Sign in to comment
    • Patricia
      Patricia Jaeger

If you have a sewing machine and are near a fabric store you could make a cover quite reasonably. For thirty years I made covers for my rental harps before discontinuing that business. Using opened sheets of newspaper and larger pins, like hatpins, and a Sharpie pen, you can shape a pattern right over the harp, leaving a bit extra for the seams. Closing the front opening on the finished cover can be with non-fraying grosgrain ribbon ties as were the first Lyon and Healy covers, rather than zippers or velcro. Heavy quilted fabrics work well; even my small Singer Featherweight machine handled them well. The saving in cost can go toward more strings or music instead! You get the color you want, and can even sew a pocket inside or outside to hold accessories.

- Sign in to comment
    • Jean
      Jean Mac

Do you put the opening on the soundboard/body side?  Do you recommend a material for the cover?  I would only need dust cover fabric, as I have the canvas cover already. Thank you.

- Sign in to comment
    • Patricia
      Patricia Jaeger

Jean, put the opening on the column front,   top to base of the harp, and allow for a little overlap so there won't be gaps for dust to enter. If ribbon ties are too bulky, try large snaphooks. Any lightweight fabric that you like, would work for a dust cover, as long as the weave is close enough to actually prevent dust from getting in! Some people prefer one so sheer that the harp is visible through it; that is up to you.

- Sign in to comment