harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Harps and Accessories » Cunningham harps

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

Cunningham harps

• Deb
    Deb L

Has anyone seen the

- Sign in to comment
    replies to "Cunningham harps"
    • Deb
      Deb L

hmm sorry don't know what happened to the rest of my post? 

Has anyone seen the Cunningham Neoclassical gut strung harps with the Spanish style soundboard?  Tall, lightweight, bright sound, deep bass.  Has anyone played or know anything about Cunningham harps?

- Sign in to comment
    • Andy
      Andy B

Hi, Deb:

I saw one at the Atlanta Harp Center last November. The sound was amazing...I was surprised at what a big voice this harp has. An easy touch brings out a lot of sound, and it's very rich. But the string tension is too light for me, personally. It's lighter than a Dusty or a Thormahlen, for example. Bob's harps are well made, and lovely to look at.  Hope this helps,

Andy

- Sign in to comment
    • Kreig
      Kreig Kitts

I've seen the pictures - it's very pretty. He makes good harps - a lot of harp teachers in Georgia recommend his instruments for students as well-made and reliable. One gigging harpist I chatted with once while she was setting up raved on them, my first teacher used one of his harps in her studio for lessons, and I'd play on some of his when I'd visit the late Gerry Bullard's living room full of harps. The sound was very good on all of them. I'd have no hesitation purchasing one if I were looking for a new lever harp.

- Sign in to comment
    • Deb
      Deb L

thanks Kreig and Andy!  There is one at Viginia harp center and they do rent to own program but they said this one is sale only.  The light string tension sounds like it goes along with the Spanish design too, bet this harp is great for speed playing.  The sound clips have a very full bass, and it's so lightweight.  The holes in the soundboard I've never seen in a modern harp that wasn't wire. 

- Sign in to comment
    • Deb
      Deb L

yikes no holes in the back of the harp, wonder how you change the strings?

- Sign in to comment
    • Joyce
      Joyce White

He makes lovely harps with a lovely warm sound. .  We had him make a 22 string 11 lb for our youngster when she was 11 to take to Keadue International Harp Competition (she won in the under-12 division). She was able to haul it on trains and buses due to its light weight and size.  Everyone we met seemed to like the harp.  He made a detachable stool for it.  It's held up well and it was fun to watch it being shaped in his workshop.  Very talented man and he makes many other instruments as well, including reproductions of old instruments.

- Sign in to comment
    • Jessica
      Jessica Wolff

That's curious--going by the sound samples on his site, the Neoclassical sounds more metallic than the metal-strung!

- Sign in to comment
    • Kreig
      Kreig Kitts

My favorite is the hammerchord, under "more instruments" on his site. That looks like a fun thing to play.

- Sign in to comment
    • Kathy
      Kathy Chanik

This new model you're asking about, the Neoclassic, is very different from his previous models. It's true, no soundboard holes in the back. The strings kind of are twisted around a little knob on the soundboard, very different from what we're all used to. But I imagine you could get used to this, just a new skill. I did not care for the blade levers, but that's just me. I thought It was strung with fluorocarbon since it reminds me of my Sandpiper Nova, bit I'm pretty sure it has nylon strings. I think he's going for a historical reproduction feel with this harp.

- Sign in to comment
    • Kathy
      Kathy Chanik

Sorry, it's gut strung, not nylon. Not sure if that means folk gut or concert gut.

- Sign in to comment
    • Deb
      Deb L

He's very innovative doubtless!  I guess I am a traditional person, but I am excited that there are people developing so many different tastes and colors of harps and variations of them.

- Sign in to comment
    • Brenda
      Brenda Lee

I bought a Cunningham harp about 10 years ago and I still LOVE it.  I attend harp conferences as often as I can, and I can tell you, very few harps I hear can come close to the beautiful sound of my Cunningham.  Go for it.

- Sign in to comment
    • Brenda
      Brenda Lee

Deb, I bought a 35 string Cunningham about 13 years ago and it still sounds absolutely beautiful.  You can never go wrong with a Cunningham. I'll never sell mine.

- Sign in to comment