harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Harps and Accessories » LH pedal felts

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

LH pedal felts

• Sylvia
    Sylvia Clark

Has anyone else noticed that Lyon Healy pedal felts are now thin and flimsy and wear thru really fast?  I wrote the company about it a few months ago, but no one answered.  Their felts used to be nice and thick and sturdy.  Does anyone get felts from another company that are good?  If so, which one, please?

- Sign in to comment
    replies to "LH pedal felts"
    • James
      James Low

I don't really have experience with pedal harps but I do know that Aoyama Harps patented a Flourine plastic covered pedal felt that may last longer?

Picture for reference.
      http://www.morleyharps.co.uk/acatalog/Web_Delphi_Walnut_Full_fs.jpg

- Sign in to comment
    • Katherine
      Katherine Denler

Vanderbilt carries their own felts. I use them on the school harps (here at IU) and I really like them. I've been told that they are the old kind that LH used. The main difference is that the Vanderbilt are more "fuzzy" and slightly thicker, while the LH are more dense.

I'm curious how fast you wear through them, they should last a year or less if you play very often.

- Sign in to comment
    • Sylvia
      Sylvia Clark

I have two harps, so I don't practice on the same one all the time.  I used to be able to change felts about every year to year and a half.  I've been practicing mostly on my 15 since June (when  I put new ones on) and already two felts are wearing thru.  The old felts would pack down, but they NEVER wore thru...that's why I think they are really different now.  I looked on Vanderbilt's site, but I didn't see felts anywhere.  I wrote them, but they haven't answered.  I practice 2-3 hrs a day usually.

- Sign in to comment
    • Sylvia
      Sylvia Clark

James, thank you.  I went there.  The pic shows a lovely harp, but no detail of pedal felts.

- Sign in to comment
    • Tacye
      Tacye Phillipson

Pilgrim harps have two types of felt, thick and thin for different harps.  They also have a tape of some advanced material (maybe teflon, I can't remember) that you can put round over the top of any felt to reduce wear.  I don't know if you can change the tape without changing the felt, it would be worth asking.  I think I have said before I changed allegiance to leather years ago.  The longer life is definitely worth the hassle of sewing them on for me.

- Sign in to comment
    • Katherine
      Katherine Denler

If you click on "web store" and then "harp accessories" it's at the very bottom. They are $7 for a set. :)

I think it does depend on the harp also, my harp has the same felts since 2 years ago, and they are a little packed down but otherwise in great condition (yes, I know, I should change them...). I practice 2-3 hours a day at home. A couple of the harps here at school, even though they are played 4-6 hours a day, go through felts in 2 months.

It's the same felt, so I can only assume the player and the harp contribute to the wear the most.

- Sign in to comment
    • Sylvia
      Sylvia Clark

Thank you for your input.  Vanderbilt answered, and I am going to try theirs.  If they are like what LH used to have, that's the right kind!

- Sign in to comment
    • Barbara Ann
      Barbara Ann Fackler

I found some felt from a supplier for pool table felt that is more dense than what L&H sells. Look around and you can find a place that will sell it by the yard. Some places only sell 8', what's needed for a whole pool table but some suppliers sell yardages. You can choose any color you wish and it does hold up better.

- Sign in to comment
    • Carl
      Carl Swanson

Barbara- I'm very curious about this. The red stuff that everyone uses to wrap pedals is really a cloth, not a felt. It's called key bushing cloth and is made mainly for the piano trade. It's woven and then shrunk to make it dense. I'm wondering if the stuff you can get for a pool table is a cloth(woven) or a felt, which is not woven.

- Sign in to comment
    • Barbara Ann
      Barbara Ann Fackler

Carl, you're right, it's not felt. It's woven and dense, billiard cloth. $28/yard 62 " wide.

- Sign in to comment
    • Carl
      Carl Swanson

Thanks Barbara, I'll check that out. What kind of store are you likely to find it in? Is there such a thing as a billiard supply store?

- Sign in to comment
    • Barbara Ann
    • Carl
      Carl Swanson

Thank you Barbara. I would never have thought of this.

- Sign in to comment
    • Barbara Ann
      Barbara Ann Fackler

The one time cost is higher than buying the fabric already cut, but it's always on hand and after the 4th time you change them, you break even. Plus, it's always at hand when a hole is worn through. The thickness of the different brands differs.

- Sign in to comment
    • Sid
      Sid Humphreys

Hah! And here I thought I was being clever by getting my felts at the Steinway showroom! Thanks for the tip Barbara!

- Sign in to comment
    • Patrick
      Patrick Dougal

I've been using pool table "felt" for the last 10 year with great success.

The one downside might be that they last too long. They get packed down long before they start to shred.

- Sign in to comment