harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Harps and Accessories » Humidity

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

Humidity

• Eliza
    Eliza Morrison

What is the optimal level of humidity in a room with harps in it? I just bought a hygrometer, and the humidity level in my practice room fluctuates between 45 and 55 percent. Your thoughts?

- Sign in to comment
    replies to "Humidity"
    • Bart
      Bart Kleineweber

I'm not sure that the actual number matters so much as the variance from one end to the other.  I am sure that harps in Arizona or New Mexico are used to a drier climate than harps in the Great Lakes area where I am.  I just make sure that there is a pan of water in the harp room during the winter to try to improve the dryness during those months.  In a dry climate, I would try to prevent the humidity from building up too high during rainy days.  In what kind of climate do you live?

- Sign in to comment
    • Gretchen
      Gretchen Cover

I would call the manufacturer or your harp and ask for their advice.  If you have someone who regulates your harp, email the tech or ask around for the name of the tech who regulates harps in your area and email him/her.   I agree with the other post that consistency is important. Harps do not like swings in temperatures and/or humidity.  I would keep a good cover on your harp on it while not playing. 

Maybe if let readers know where you live, you can get specific advice for the climate there. 

- Sign in to comment
    • Eliza
      Eliza Morrison

Good idea to ask the person who does my regulations. I live in southeastern Pennsylvania, where the summers are very humid. However, the indoor air in winter is quite dry. I have an evaporative humidifier set up in the room, which seems to keep the humidity level around 50%. 

- Sign in to comment
    • Rod
      Rod Wagoner

I'm in AZ and have a whole house humidifier AND a small humidifier in my harp room for days when the heater or AC runs constantly.  I can keep my humidity at about 50% almost all the time.  The string bass and concertinas are happier too.

My harp came from FL, so I didn't want to shock it.

Rod W.

- Sign in to comment
    • Eliza
      Eliza Morrison

The person who does my regulations got back to me and said that between 40 and 60% humidity is optimal. One of my harps came from Florida, too...and I also have an acoustic bass in the room, coincidentally (my boyfriend's)!

- Sign in to comment