harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Harps and Accessories » new Timothy lap harp

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

new Timothy lap harp

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Amado

Has anyone seen or played one of these harps?  It sounds like a wonderful harp to own!  http://www.timothyharps.ca/harpmodels_niamh.htm

Jerusha

- Sign in to comment
    replies to "new Timothy lap harp"
    • Briggsie B.
      Briggsie B. Peawiggle, Esq.

I think this is the replacement for the Aedh which he no longer makes. I haven't played one, but I have played his floor harps (at the AHS Conference this year) and they are really very nice. His prices are on the high side I thought, however.

Briggsie

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

Ah!  My ears were burning!  I hope you folks don't mind if I weigh in for a moment.

I should probably have a sign posted at my booth to indicate that our harps are priced in Canadian dollars, not US dollars.  When the exchange rate is worked in they actually end up being less expensive than many equivalent US brands.  I have to keep our prices competitive for sales here in Canada so I haven't raised them in a while despite the price gap with US brands.

Our flagship Llyr 36 string, for instance, is $4400 Canadian including a Colorado Case.  At today's exchange rate that's about $3600 US, which is at the low end of the price spectrum for a professional 36 string lever harp in the States.

Health and happiness

Timothy

- Sign in to comment
    • Jerusha
      Jerusha Amado

<< I hope you folks don't mind if I weigh in for a moment.>>

Timothy,

We definitely don't mind!  It's great to have you here!

I remember Briggs really loving your Storm King harp--great projection, tone and workmanship.  I would love to hear one of those harps in person as well!

Will you be showing harps at the Big Sky Conference this summer?

Jerusha

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

Hi, Jerusha,

I'd love to make it to Big Sky, but it's a long way west for us.  I will be showing at the Harp Gathering near Toledo Ohio, the Somerset Folk Harp Festival near Washington DC, and the Southeast Harp Weekend in Asheville NC, in addition to a couple of shows here in Canada.

One of these fine years I'll make it out for a show on the West Coast.  It's just a matter of figuring out the logistics.

Health and happiness

Timothy

- Sign in to comment
    • Briggsie B.
      Briggsie B. Peawiggle, Esq.

Timothy, my humble apologies. When I saw your harps at the AHS I was told the price in Canadian and not US, and that seemed high. I didn't realize it was the Canadian price I was given.  However, upon going to your website and using a conversion chart, the prices are in fact quite good and fair.

More importantly, your harps are gorgeous, both in look and sound. I love the new Niamh and hope to try one someday.

Briggsie

- Sign in to comment
    • Curt
      Curt Hammell

Hello, I am happy to say I own one. Most excellent harp. Strong even voicing lovely tone good tension. This 27 string harp has great volume and projects very well. It is a larger lap harp model which is exactly what I wanted. I have been able to transpose quite a bit within its octave ranges. This is a well thought out design with top notch wood selections. Timothy doesn't mess around and all the thought and testing he has invested through the years has been reflected in these amazing instruments. This is a 100% handmade instrument and that is part of what I was looking to pay for. You cant go wrong looking further into Timothy Harps.

- Sign in to comment