harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Coffee Break » Christmas harps

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

Christmas harps

• Andy
    Andy B

How about a new thread about harps we got for Christmas?  Here's the L&H 85P I picked up yesterday from the Atlanta Harp Center for myself (I've been VERY good this year!). Many thanks to Becky for dealing with my questions over the phone and for Rhett Barnwell for his patience while I was there yesterday!

Andy

- Sign in to comment
    replies to "Christmas harps"
    • Briggsie B.
      Briggsie B. Peawiggle, Esq.

Congratulations, Andy. I hope you like it. Didn't you post a picture of a different harp in this exact spot in the past? It looks very familiar?

Briggs

- Sign in to comment
    • Andy
      Andy B

Hi, Briggs: Yes, same spot, but the earlier picture was a natural Prelude that I traded towards this 85P. Hope you're having a Merry Christmas!

Andy

- Sign in to comment
    • Briggsie B.

I KNEW it!! I remembered the scene well. So you are going to pedal harp from lever harp? Awesome!! Yes, I am having a Merry Christmas season so far.....spent the day baking and nursing my doggie who had surgery on Friday. Hubby is playing keyboard (mostly church) gigs all over creation this weekend and until Christmas. I did my first Christmas gig this year with my Athena -- a reception for fund-raisers in the community. It was very nice, and I enjoyed it -- especially when it was over and the kitchen help invited me to partake of the left-overs with them. :)

Have a wonderful holiday, Andy.....and congratulations on being so good!!!!

Briggsie

- Sign in to comment
    • Brook
      Brook Boddie

Andy,

Wow--congratulations!!!!   Your new harp is beautiful.  What a great Christmas present.  I know you must be very excited.  Be sure to keep us posted on how you enjoy the new harp.

- Sign in to comment
    • David
      David Ice

Congratulations, Andy!  Your new 85P is beautiful.  I owned one and it was a great instrument with an awesome sound.

It's great to get a harp for Christmas, isn't it!

- Sign in to comment
    • Charles
      Charles Hooper

Andy,

You must have been very good just like Dave was.

I on the other hand must have been very very bad.

Just KIDDING my time will come and Santa or the Easter Bunny will bring to me the pedal harp of my dreams.

I'm so glad Little Ol Atlanta has a harp center of it's  very own.( Finally) And with such nice people running it. I try to get there every thursday evening and play the harps and talk harp talk.

When do we get to hear you play??????

Happy Holidays and Harping,

Charles

- Sign in to comment
    • Andy
      Andy B

Hi, Charles...yes, it's a good thing they're not closer to me or they'd never get me out of the store!  Actually, I'm going to be back up there tomorrow around lunchtime or so...

What do they do on Thurday evenings?

Andy

- Sign in to comment
    • Kelly
      Kelly R

Andy,

Nice harp! =)

Here's a picture of the harp I just purchased: (The picture is from the website since I don't have it yet)

Blevins Amadeus

- Sign in to comment
    • Sherry
      Sherry Lenox

Kelly, I've been ogling the Blevins Amadeus for some time. It's beautiful, and if the sound clip is any indication, sounds as pretty as it looks. May it bring you many happy times!

Sherry L.

- Sign in to comment
    • Briggsie B.

That is a lovely harp, Kelly. I hope you get it soon. How long will it take? Is it fully levered?

- Sign in to comment
    • Kelly
      Kelly R

Thanks Sherry and Briggsie.

Briggsie~  It is fully levered (Lovelands), and I'm upgrading it to Camacs because I've heard that they're so nice to use.  I was a bit nervous getting a harp unseen, but I called them, and Cindy played it for me over the phone, and they're just such nice people! I guess as far as how long it'll take will be when it gets its levers put on and I pay off the balance.

- Sign in to comment
    • Charles
      Charles Hooper

Andy,

When I have the time and energy after work i go up and talk shop with Rhett,

Becky is always going home by the time I get there but she lives fairly close to me.

And I play as many harps as I can paying attention to what's the same and what's diffrent.

It's fun and I'm glad they are open till 8 on thursdays.

- Sign in to comment
    • Briggsie B.

Kelly, you are going to LOVE the Camac levers. I had Camacs put on my lever harp, and I love them. I'm sure they won't sell you a lemon. I think they are very forthright. I'm happy for you! Let us know when you get it and what you think.

What type of harp are you playing now? Oh and btw, I bought my Camac Athena sight unseen and played on the phone as well. There is only one harp I have ever liked better -- and that's my teacher's Atlantide Prestige. I have played a lot of harps and am always happy to come back to Big Daddy. <s> You will be happy with your new baby.

- Sign in to comment
    • Kelly
      Kelly R

I have a Prelude as well (which I'd LIKE to hopefully trade in for a pedal harp sometime) and a Salvi Eire harp which I'm probably going to sell since I haven't played it like I used to since I got my Prelude.  I think Camac pedal harps are so beautiful...I'm definitely going to have to look into them

- Sign in to comment
    • Nelleke
      Nelleke Kerkhoff

I THINK I was good this year!  I got a new Walnut Daphne 47 EX this month...hopefully arriving next Wednesday (seems like forever!).  This one is off the website as well.  I couldn't quite figure out how to put my own pic on the website.  Harpy New Year 2008! Nelleke

- Sign in to comment
    • Kelly
      Kelly R

That is really beautiful, Nelleke! : o )

- Sign in to comment
    • Briggsie B.

Extremely lovely, Nelleke. I love walnut. My Athena is walnut. It's such a warm color without a lot of red to it. Congratulations! You must be very excited.

Briggs

- Sign in to comment
    • Brian
      Brian Davey

Happy Holidays;

Santa was good to me too! The day after Christmas, and much to my surprise, my new Lyon & Healy Style 23 in natural was delivered to my place of employment.

I was not expecting this stunning new instrument so soon, since the weather up north is so miserable.

My deepest gratitude to the wonderful folks at Virginia Harp Center, they certainly put their customers first.

When I asked Steve Hartman from Lyon & Healy to give a rating from '1-10' for the my new harp, he said an '11' and he was not kidding, it has such an extraordinary sound for being a 'green' harp, I can only imagine what it will sound like in a few years.

Happy New Year;

BWD

- Sign in to comment
    • Rod
      Rod C.

Happy New Year!

It sounds like quite a few of us will be playing new harps in the New Year!

A week ago, I  received my Lyon Healy 85 CG, which I am very pleased with. I bought/ordered it in Sept. It's in walnut, so it was a special order, but I had to wait only 2 months to get it. I, too, was suprised they could ship it in the cold weather (I'm in Nebraska), but I was told the finish on the newer harps does not crackle in the cold weather like the older harps did.

I would post a pic, but can't figure out how to do so!

Cheers,

Rod C.

- Sign in to comment
    • Andy
      Andy B

Congratulations, Rod, Brian, Nelleke, and Kelly! Too bad we can't have a get-together and show off our new harps in person.  Actually, I ended up taking the 85P back and brought home a stunning ebony Camac Clio with extended soundboard. I'll post a pic tonight. 

Andy 

- Sign in to comment