harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Coffee Break » Where are you?

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

Where are you?

• Carl
    Carl Swanson

This may be redundant, and may have already appeared on the site. But every time I see another name up here, I wonder where the person lives who is writing. My current student was a regular here two years ago, and it took me months to realize that he was less than 10 miles from me. He could have been in Tasmania for all I knew. So I'm going to sign off on any post with the name of the city where I live.

Carl Swanson, Boston, Massachusetts.

- Sign in to comment
    replies to "Where are you?"
    • Saul
      Saul Davis Zlatkovski

I am Saul Davis Zlatkovsky, and I am still in Philadelphia, near Rittenhouse Square, where I am arranging a festival of harp music concerts in Church of the Holy Trinity, to happen Memorial Day Weekend, 2007. The theme is honoring the centenary of Lucile Lawrence. We hope for a large attendance for the whole weekend, and to make this an annual event with different themes each year. You can contact me for more information as it becomes available. We are looking for a non-profit arrangement to be able to accept donations. So keep Memorial Day Weekend marked off on your calendars, hopefully in the years to come.

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

Esmeralda Galea Camiller... Currenlty my ID card states i reside Cospicua in Malta  but if you start a similar thread in 10 months time, i shall be able to give you a different counry... moving central Europe soon..... tc

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

Here I am in usually hot and muggy Houston Texas.  PS, as the air conditioner runs almost all year, there is never any change in humidity in the house.  Good for keeping the strings in tune.

- Sign in to comment
    • Victor
      Victor Ortega

I vote that we all put a little bit about ourselves, including our location, in our profiles on this site.  That way, when reading someone's message, we can click on the name in the message (and then click on the name again once in the posting history page...) to learn more about the person.  I think this is better because it doesn't take up room in each message with our location, and there's more room in the profile for other information.

I'm in Philadelphia, though I'm only passing through... my wife and I are hoping to move to the Czech Republic in a few years.  She's from Prague, and pretty much all her family is there, whereas my extended family is scattered all over the world.  I also haven't been here long, being previously in Pittsburgh where I fell in love with the harp.  I'm originally from Nicaragua, and I spent my secondary school years in Florida.  So I guess perhaps a better question for me is, "where are you from, and where are you going?"  :)

- Sign in to comment
    • Tony
      Tony Morosco

Not a bad idea about updating our profiles.

+++Czech Republic in a few years.  She's from Prague,+++

Very  nice. I was just in Prague a couple of months ago. What a fantastic city. The Czech Republic is a great place and one of the nicest "Eastern" European countries. I think I could live there.

Currently, and for the foreseeable future, I live in beautiful San Francisco CA. I can't think of anyplace I would rather live, so I plan to stay here until I get driven out by either raising cost of living or earthquakes.

- Sign in to comment
    • Elizabeth
      Elizabeth Volpé Bligh

I live in beautiful Vancouver, B.C. Originally I am from Toronto, Ontario, which has colder winters but more sunshine.

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

Hello neighbor! I'm from beautiful Montreal. Home of our glorious "Les Canadiens de Montreal"

- Sign in to comment
    • Leigh
      Leigh Griffith

Speaking of neighbors, Guy, you aren't too far south and west from me
      here in Houlton, Maine! The Fall colors have sure been beautiful, but
      now we have lots of raking to do!

Leigh

- Sign in to comment
    • Evangeline
      Evangeline Williams

I'm in Wilmington, Delaware.  Born in Alabama, went to school in north New Jersey.  Have also lived in Tennessee and New York, and also spent a few months staying and performing in Brazil. 

- Sign in to comment
    • Ann Marie
      Ann Marie Liss

I'm from the Denver, Colorado area.  I've been in Paris for the past almost 4 years, but have been back in the States since January after being hit by a red light-running taxi...  I do hope to be professionally based in France/Europe in the future, but for now, I'm just basically blessed to be alive, walking, and finally getting back to the harp.

- Sign in to comment
    • Carl
      Carl Swanson

ann Marie- What have you been doing in Paris for 4 years. I lived there for three years many years ago. I try to get back once a year, at least.

- Sign in to comment
    • Katerina
      Katerina King

Catherine (Katerina whe write) Antonenko. Moscow, Russia.

PS: The next year I shall visit Frankfurt Music Massie and Edinburg harp fest. If someone will be there - let's contact for a cup of coffie alife.) And also planing to visit some USA regions.

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

hehe... well i'll be in Edinburgh... but i only drink tea or wine... pls..... so coffee is out : )

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

I am a beginner harpist in Fort Collins, CO. 

Ann Marie Liss, it is nice to see your name here, I really enjoyed your performance on Saturday. Wonderful!!

- Sign in to comment
    • Katerina
      Katerina King

Great!) So, let it be russian countryside wine. Good change, I think. :)

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

Sure... we usually drink french or italian wines around here... but i'm up to a new taste...

cu tc... keep in touch : )

- Sign in to comment
    • Jerusha
      Jerusha Amado

I'm near the Phoenix area.  I am a pedal harp player (upper intermediate level) who has branched out to the lever harp.  I took up harp in my early 30's without the benefit of knowing how to read music well or of being proficient in another instrument. I studied with a wonderful teacher who trained with the phenomenal  Carrol McLaughlin (fabulous jazz/pop harpist).  I currently play in two bands where I am primarily an improvisationalist.  I love the harp and thank God for the opportunity to play an instrument, something I always wanted to do as a child but other than a short stint in 6th grade in a marimba band never really had the chance.

Jerusha

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

Jerusha --

I am also near Phoenix (Tempe). I'm a beginner, but did have the advantage of some good musical experience before beginning to play about one year ago.

I just moved to Phoenix in April of this year (06), and I'm still learning my way around the city. I also play (oboe) in a local community orchestra, and Irish flute in a new band; our first gig is coming up.

Oh, and I'm a mathematician - turned - college - administrator by profession.

- Sign in to comment
    • Ann Marie
      Ann Marie Liss

Carl,
      I have been studying with Isabelle Perrin at the Ecole Normale de Musique de Paris where I recieved my Diplome Superieure de Concertiste, and the fall semester of ��� I studied with Germaine Lorenzini in Lyon.  I've always been interested in your perspective and anecdotes about Paris throughout various posts!  I'd be interested in hearing more of your stories and experiences.  Because of the nature of the 'cab attack' and my injuries I had to leave all of my belongings in France with the friends I was living with, so I'm planning to return at least to gather my things, although I'm trying to be clever and devise a way to stay long-term there (but since I've finished my government-recognized studies, it's more complicated), but it's all up in the air at this point.  I've really enjoyed living in Paris, it almost feels more like 'home' than Colorado in some ways.  My musical experiences were exceptional, expansive, and extremely challenging in many ways and I am extremely grateful to have been blessed withl the opportunities that the beautiful arts-saturated culture of France has to offer. 

Karin,
      Thanks for the encouragement!  I was very excited to finally be able to play again.  I'm glad you enjoyed the concert.  It was a treat to hear such a wide variety of harpists play on one program! Happy harping!

- Sign in to comment
    • Ann Marie
      Ann Marie Liss

Strange... the 3 ???'s were supposed to say 2005... bizarre

- Sign in to comment