harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Coffee Break » Who is John Doe, vote now!

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

Who is John Doe, vote now!

• Unknown
    Unknown User

So, who is this mysterious John Doe? Is it one of the community in disguise? Is he my evil twin from another dimension?

He told a harrowing story about a Salvi employee driven to despair by the evil Mr Victor and so he locked himself in the wood drying room and set it on fire. I would like to believe that is who he is, so romantic, like our own Phantom of the Opera on the harp column....

Vote now on who you think he may be!

- Sign in to comment
    replies to "Who is John Doe, vote now! "
    • Kay
      Kay Lister

MMMmmmmm- - -tis an odd little charactor with strange tales to tell.  The jury is still out on this one.

Kay

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

Mysterious and intriguing...he seems to just make these bold and (seemingly) dubious statements and then disappear. I think he probably does have serious tale to tell and I'd love to know it! But smelly carts and harps that turn green have this amusing side that I cannot resist!

Please tell us what is up Johno, we'd love to know. Most of us are extremely intrigued and would try and help if we could!

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

DUN DUN DUN!!!

lol

- Sign in to comment
    • Saul
      Saul Davis Zlatkovski

He's not me. Just so you know. Could it be Carl?

- Sign in to comment
    • Andy
      Andy B

Hmmm, he's never online at the same time Rosemary is...kind of like you never see Clark Kent and Superman in the same room at the same time. And maybe our "John" Doe is really a "Jane".  Hey, Rosemary, are you playing a trick on all of us?  LOL!

- Sign in to comment
    • Tony
      Tony Morosco

I would highly doubt it. Carl goes out of his way to not knock his competition publicly that I can't see him wanting to take such a path to do so under a pseudonym. He seems perfectly contented to let the products speak for themselves.

It definitely doesn't seem like his style.

- Sign in to comment
    • David
      David Ice

It's definitely not me.  My senior English teacher, Miss Bock, drilled proper writing skills into my head.  I could never post anything with the writing style and grammer of John Doe.

I would like to buy him a cocktail, though, and listen....

Dave Ice

- Sign in to comment
    • Lisa
      Lisa McCann

Could it be Camac-trained John Pratt, in San Pedro, CA?  This is a complete guess, but when I put "John Camac Harp" in a search engine, this is what comes up!

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

I agree, it is not the Carlston, although it did occur to me...As Carlston is too refined, the posts are just too 'gauche'.

I'm flattered that someone thinks its me, it would be a remarkable practical joke that I would love to take credit for, especially that story in the wood drying room...but you have hit on a way to find his identity. I never post at the same time as you all due to the time difference. So, if we check what times he posts, then we may be able to work out what country he is posting from...

I suspect he is not a Camac person, as Camac people tend to talk about their instruments. So, as he never talks about his harps, or the Camac innovations, I suspect that is a ruse. To throw us off who he really is.

I think he is from a rival company that has a pathological hatred of Salvi as a company. He knows alot about the industry - where things are made and what turns green, and what happens behind closed doors in the wood drying room...So, I do not think he is a harpist at all. But if he is a harpist, I'd like to buy him a drink and have a listen too!

And Dave, you can buy me a cocktail someday if you like!  But I prefer red wine..

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

John Doe mainly posts at 6 or 7 o'clock in the evening - and a couple of times at 3 in the afternoon. So! Is he a college student that gets home at 3? Or is he a worker that has his afternoon tea break then? The rest of the time is after dinner, I assume when he has got home from work/college. He is probably posting from the US or Canada then, or the time zone would not work - although we need to check this out more thoroughly.

(Dramatic Perry Mason music inserted here - Dun dun dun dun)

- Sign in to comment
    • Jerusha
      Jerusha Amado

It's not John Pratt!  He's much too dignified to engage in the foolishness that John Doe displays.

Jerusha

- Sign in to comment
    • Vince
      Vince Pierce

It's not me, I'm not that creative! Nor am I that bad at grammar. :)

- Sign in to comment
    • Vince
      Vince Pierce

Oh, and he's most likely foreign...judging from the aforementioned grammar issue. Perhaps I should respond to his posts in French, and then what? Besides, I like Salvi harps just as much as LH! Crazy man.

- Sign in to comment
    • HarpGlo
      HarpGlo Jean

John Pratt in San Pedro, Ca???...I live in San Pedro, CA..and I've never heard of this harpist living here....isn't John Pratt in Utah??.....

Anyway, I vote that this "John Doe" dude is just "pulling all of our legs" and having a good time doing it....So, "John Doe", it's time to reveal who you really are....puhleeze!!!!!!!!!

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

In defense of foreigners, I'm not so sure he's foreign. I find his grammar problems inconsistent and suspect it a ruse - a bold and cunning subterfuge to hide his real identity...  And well, I'd like to think he's not foreigner...being a "foreign" type myself!

- Sign in to comment
    • Sherry
      Sherry Lenox

Yes, from the linguistic point of view, the errors are rather forced and pseudo-random. If I had the time I'd do an analysis. Or are the posts encoded? Is he really using his doggerel to send secret messages to someone or about someone on this board? The plot thickens......

Note- Any and all spelling errors of this writer are the direct result of fibro-fog and neither imply nor reveal that this writer writes with a technique similar to John.

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

Hello Scully, oops, I mean Sherry......you are such a clever cookie! Yes, it is a code, I see it all now...it has nothing to do with harps, harp companies or harpists at all......

- Sign in to comment
    • Elizabeth
      Elizabeth Volpé Bligh

Maybe it is the same alien who imprisoned Kim for a few days so that she had to gnaw her leg off to escape so that we could all enjoy Harp Column again. Or..wait!! Do you think it was he who built the Satanic Troubadour??

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

I think that Elizabeth is on the right track. I don't think that it's the alien that imprisoned Kim or built the Satanic Troubadour......I think that John Doe is the alien's understudy or assistant. He distracted the alien so Kim could free herself and escape. The alien's understudy is aware of all the sabotage that is going on, and is trying to warn all of us, yet protecting himself by using an alias. By remaining underground, John Doe can keep us all posted on "the need to know" happenings in the sub-terrainian harp world. Could he be maintaining an alias because he is gathering information of a great master-plan of destruction? Maybe it will be an event similar to the Y2K event? Prehaps all harps have a small micro-chip hidden in their bases programed to have all strings to snap at midnight this comming New Year?       Cecelia

- Sign in to comment
    • Katerina
      Katerina King

Maybe he is Hamlet's father ghost?...

Anyway he doesn't deserve our attention, ladys and gentlemen. The trolls are alive while the trolls are being feeded.

- Sign in to comment