harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Coffee Break » Just to let you know . . .

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

Just to let you know . . .

• Kay
    Kay Lister

I'M GOING TO BE A GRANDMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I can't wait to teach him/her how to play the harp!

Kay

- Sign in to comment
    replies to "Just to let you know . . ."
    • Vince
      Vince Pierce

Oh, congratulations! That's really exciting!

- Sign in to comment
    • Sherry
      Sherry Lenox

OK- Now I'M JEALOUS! Very best wishes to all involved!

- Sign in to comment
    • Andy
      Andy B

Congratulations, Kay! Is this going to be the first?  When is the due date, so we can all help you count down!

Andy

- Sign in to comment
    • Kay
      Kay Lister

Yes - it's the first.  My oldest son has been married to a WONDERFUL GIRL for a little over  4&1/2 yrs now and this is the first grandbaby for both sets of grandparents (and we all live close by).  This is going to be one rotten little egg! The due date is June 25th and if he/she is anything like its dad - it'll be VERY LATE!

Kay

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

Whoo Hoo, Nana Kay!

Well, as least if you teach the rug rat harp, you will not have to buy one for them...too darn expensive! They can just use yours!

Great news Kay, you know, I did see baby clothes that had little hats of Koala ears, and matching grey and white jump suits that made them look like they had a white belly too.....

I'll try and track them down!

- Sign in to comment
    • Kimberly
      Kimberly Rowe

Kay, you do NOT look old enough to be a grandma!!!! Congrats!!

KIM

- Sign in to comment
    • Leigh
      Leigh Griffith

Congrats, Kay!

Best of luck to the parents and grandparents! I'm hoping my son and his
      new wife take some time to grow up before starting a family, but I know
      that when the time comes, I will be a fool for the baby, no matter what!

Love,

Leigh

- Sign in to comment
    • Saul
      Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Having had some harpy hopes for my nephew, forget about it. The kid will do what the kid wants to do, and if it's harp, it may not be with Grandma, but I hope it is harp anyway.

- Sign in to comment
    • Cheryl
      Cheryl Z.

Hi Kay,

I know exactly how you feel!  Our first grandbaby is due in April.  It is so exciting!!!

Don't give up the idea of teaching the little one harp.  It is God who decides who is born into which family.  And the new little person will have a grandma who plays harp!  And if the little one decides to learn to play harp someday, it won't have to wait and save up for a harp.  They can learn on grandma's harp.  Wouldn't that be great!

All the best to you and yours.

- Sign in to comment
    • Kay
      Kay Lister

Well, we find out tomorrow if this little creature is a boy or girl.  I had questioned them finding out and asked if they didn't want to wait and be surprised.  My son told me that if I didn't want to know that they would not tell me.  Well, I'm not going to be the only one in Talbot County that DOESN'T know!  SO, tomorrow the other grandmother (that sounds wierd) and  I have been invited along to the event.  I can't wait to get this child near the harp.  I'll have to push the dogs out of the way first.

Cheryl, how's grandmahood coming along with you?

Kay

- Sign in to comment
    • Andy
      Andy B

Kay, why not get a jump on things and offer to play soothing music for the mother-to-be? Maybe you'll get in a little prenatal influence!

Andy

- Sign in to comment
    • Kay
      Kay Lister

Hey Andy, good idea!  Wouldn't it be nice if we all could find that nice warm secure place to curl up and have someone play harp music for us while we just float around taking it all in?

Kay

- Sign in to comment
    • Denise
      Denise Lockamy

I'm also going to be a first time grandma this year, in August.  (Wait, I'm that old?)  Since my son and his wife live 18 hours away, I'm thinking of recording some lullabies so the baby will get to know the sound of the harp early, and maybe will sleep. Neither his/her father or aunt did.  Of course, I didn't have a harp then, either. Surely that would have helped! Kay and Cheryl, you can pass along any advice, since yours will both be earlier than mine.

- Sign in to comment
    • Kay
      Kay Lister

Just found out this morning, WE'RE GONNA HAVE A BOY!!!!!!!!!!  I suddenly have the urge to go shopping.  Imaging that!

:-) Kay

- Sign in to comment
    • Andy
      Andy B

Congratulations, Kay! Now you need to pick up one of those cheap 9 or 12 string ebay harps for him to start on when he gets here!

Andy

- Sign in to comment
    • Cheryl
      Cheryl Z.

Hi Kay,

Grandmahood is a whole new expericence!  They found out about two months ago that we are going to have a girl.  I can hardly wait.  I am so excited. 

By God's grace, I am just finishing up a 3rd baby blanket.  For me this is nothing short of a miracle.  I had to stop crocheting years ago because of carpel tunnel.  The last time I tried to crochet, I only did it for about 10 minutes and my hand hurt for 3 days.  I was so disappointed with the thought of not being able to do a blanket for the baby.  I prayed and asked the Lord to help me crochet a blanket, so she would have a keepsake.  Now I am almost done with the 3rd one! 

The hardest part for me so far is knowing that I am grandma and not the mom and stepping back and realizing my son and his wife will have their own way of doing things. 

Being moms we have all this experience and yet we have to wait until we are asked for advice.  We know how we would do things but our daughter-in-laws have ways to do things that they learned from their mothers.  There is nothing wrong with that of course, but when your the one used to doing the "taking care of" it is sometimes hard to step back.  But then again, we get to be the ones who can give lots of hugs and kisses and maybe do things for the grandchild that we couldn't do for our own kids at the time they were growing up.  Takes a lot of prayer to know the right thing to do.

The first time I saw the altra sound picture it made me cry.  Is any your kids going to do the 3-D altra sound?  My son and his wife are not going to do it but it looks so cool.  On the 3-D altra sound you can see the baby as clear as in a photograph. 

As for a harp.  No Pakastani for our future little harpists.  Wouldn't a harpsicle be so cool painted especially for the baby's first harp.  Little baby bears and a soft twirling ribbon running down the front of the harp.  Maybe little pastel baby blocks done with the letters of baby's name in each block.  Maybe little trucks or fire engine or lambs or baby doll.

Maybe a Scripture verse like Psalm 127:3, "...children are an heritage from the Lord..." or Proverbs 22:6, "Train up a child in the way he should go and, when he is old, he will not depart from it".  So many ideas.

I found a nice site for stuffed animals.  It is www.plushfriends.com .  They have the cutest bear that says, "God Bless Baby".  There is one that says "My First Teddy" too.  They have some really cute blankets too.  They ship pretty fast too.

It is interesting to realize that there is this other set of grandparents that will influence out grandchild's life too.  There are so many new things to get used to.

Keep me updated on how things are going with you other grandma's too.  Have you decided what name your grandchild is going to call you, such as Grandma, Nana, Nannie, etc.?

- Sign in to comment
    • Cheryl
      Cheryl Z.

Congratulations Denise!  Recording for the baby sounds like a lovely idea.

- Sign in to comment
    • Cheryl
      Cheryl Z.

Just wondering how everything is going with all of us soon to be grandmas.  Is everyone doing ok?  Anyone feeling the baby's kick yet?  Any cravings for harp music?!  Hope everyone is doing well.

- Sign in to comment
    • Kay
      Kay Lister

Hey Cheryl,

Nice of you to ask.  The other Grandma and I got to go the the sonogram and IT'S A BOY!  He is dancing around in there quite a bit,  but Matt (my son) hasn't felt him yet.  They haven't decided on a name.  Matt says he has to see him first.  So right now I guess it's Baby Boy Lister.  I just call him Bubble (BBL).  Poor child, hope that doesn't stick with him. Mamma is feeling great and just loving the whole experience.  I have bought a couple outfits for this little guy.  I guess shower plans will be in the works soon. 

Kay

- Sign in to comment
    • Cheryl
      Cheryl Z.

That's great to hear Kay.  Isn't it amazing to be able to know ahead of time if the baby is a boy or girl?  Makes it easier to know what to buy to prepare for the baby.  Bubble - that's cute.

- Sign in to comment