harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Re: What's on your music...

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

Re: Re: What's on your music stand? Winter 2011

• Jerusha
    Jerusha Amado

Hi everyone!

What are you working on right now?  I'm currently learning the songs in Sunita Staneslow's book Great French Composers For Harp.  The songs are easy and very pretty.

Jerusha

- Sign in to comment
    replies to "Re: Re: What's on your music stand? Winter 2011"
    • HarpGlo
      HarpGlo Jean

Traditional Scottish Music, by William Jackson...(a little tricky because of all the grace notes, but otherwise lovely tunes)....

- Sign in to comment
    • harp
      harp guy

For harp: various collections of celtic/folk music. I'm choosing music for a show I'll be doing at a permanent Renaissance Faire this summer. 3 concerts/day on the weekends, for 6 weeks.

For flute: scales, orchestral excerpts, Mozart Concerto, Jolivet Concerto, 1st flute book for a production of Sweeney Todd that I start rehearsals for soon.

- Sign in to comment
    • Jerusha
      Jerusha Amado

Gloria,

Are there any YouTube videos of the music you're learning?

- Sign in to comment
    • Jerusha
      Jerusha Amado

Hi Harp Guy,

Which of the flute concertos is more difficult to play?  And how much time do you practice each day in order to do all of this work?

- Sign in to comment
    • Sid
      Sid Humphreys

Three things:

Salzedo's transsciption of Dedussy's First Arabesque, Mahler's Symphony No.5, and Ravel's Mother Goose suite.

- Sign in to comment
    • Jerusha
      Jerusha Amado

The last two sound complicating, Sid!  Any favorite among the three?

(Would love to learn "First Arabesque".)

- Sign in to comment
    • Kay
      Kay Lister

Hi All,

Since I FINALLY got my pedal harp, I have been having SO much fun.  I'm playing Salzedos Song in the Night and polishing Passacaglia which I had done Barbaras version on my lever harp.  I am just loving "Song" and I have it pretty well except when I get to the tapping on the sound board.  I slow WAY down and feel like I have my feet stuck in the mud.  Guess it's kind of like patting your head and rubbing your stomach. Oh well, I'll get there.

Kay

- Sign in to comment
    • Sid
      Sid Humphreys

Jerusha

The Debussy is my favorite. It's on my stand for me. The other two are upcoming performances.

- Sign in to comment
    • Karen
      Karen Johns

Me too (harp, that is)! Which RenFest are you playing at? I was planning on doing a few weekends for hat, just to get the feel of playing one of these.

Karen

- Sign in to comment
    • harp
      harp guy

Jershua: It's hard to say. In terms of technicality, the Jolivet is FAR harder (it's often considered the most difficult concerto in the flute literature. I've been working on it for almost two years now). But stylistically, the Mozart is a beast. It's never EVER good enough. My practice time fluctuates for flute. Some days it's only an hour, other days it's four hours. I used to have a full schedule of ensemble rehearsals and on those days I sometimes played 8-10 hours a day. But I've cut back on those things because I have a lot going on as I get ready to graduate, get married, go to grad school, etc.

As for harp, I generally only practice when I want/need to. When I sight read literature (like right now) it will be for a 1/2 hour to an hour a day. Harp is generally one of my 'fun' instruments that I sometimes end up making money from. Seeing as how this Faire doesn't open until June, I'm not worried. When I'm getting ready for something specifically harp related I up my time to about 2-2.5 hours.

Karen: I will (most likely) be playing at the Highland Renaissance Faire in Emminence Kentucky. They had a call for performers on their website and I responded with pictures and recordings. They said that they're lining up their performers and that I'm on 'the list.' They asked how much I charge daily and whether I would be doing a full run or a whole run (full or part season). So I assume I'm performing... If not, I'm familiarizing myself with a lot of great music! As for pay, I don't know how much or how I will be paid. I know that I'll get tips at least. From what I've seen, performers generally get $20-50 in tips. Multiply that times 3 and combine it with whatever I get paid daily, free admission, concessions and entertainment, it seems like an okay deal to me. I'm doing it more for fun anyway!

- Sign in to comment
    • Jerusha
      Jerusha Amado

That's great Kay!  "Song in the Night" is beautiful!  And the tapping technique will get better!

- Sign in to comment
    • Jerusha
      Jerusha Amado

Happy harping and performing!

- Sign in to comment
    • Jerusha
      Jerusha Amado

Wow, HG, you have a lot going on!!

I've played some Mozart on harp, and I have a difficult time with the pieces.  I too feel as though they're never quite right.

I hope that you do receive a daily fee in addition to tips.

Let us know how the Faire turned out when you go this summer!

- Sign in to comment
    • HarpGlo
      HarpGlo Jean

Hi Jerusha,

No, there are no YouTube videos, that I know of, but if you go to Sylvia Woods' website, you can listen to samples of these tunes from William Jackson's CD, "Ancient Harp of Scotland".....Gloria

- Sign in to comment
    • Jessica
      Jessica Wolff

Retrospective: things I used to play, such as Borodin, "Polovetsian Dances." New: Vivaldi, from the Four Seasons. I wish I could come up with something in the way of a tribute to a cat who died just before Christmas. She was bold and brassy and very much the alpha cat, and she was the only one to realize that my Samoyed puppy, however large, was nothing but a puppy, whereupon she adopted him. (He is now 11.) She also had a very low-pitched meow.

- Sign in to comment
    • Jerusha
      Jerusha Amado

Gloria,

I just listened to the clips.  The songs are lovely, and I bet they sound terrific on your Dusty!

- Sign in to comment
    • Jerusha
      Jerusha Amado

I love Vivaldi!  I also love cats.  I'm currently caring for a rescued Balinese named Huaji-hu (Mandarin for "comical tiger").

- Sign in to comment
    • Catherine
      Catherine Rogers

How about "The Waltzing Cat" by Leroy Anderson?

- Sign in to comment
    • Denise
      Denise Lockamy

Jerusha, I also have a rescued Balinese (Bali, though I would have named him something more imaginative). He hates the harp! Leaves the room every time I sit down at it. Hopefully, yours is more supportive.

- Sign in to comment
    • Jerusha
      Jerusha Amado

Goodness!  I don't understand why Bali dislikes harp music!!

My cat does have a favorite harp of the ones that I have--my Salvi semi-grand.  It has a mellow, soothing tone, and it puts him right to sleep (along with my hubby)!

- Sign in to comment