harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Coffee Break » Engagement/ wedding rings that...

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

Engagement/ wedding rings that won't scratch the harp

• Amanda
    Amanda Woosley Kai

My boyfriend and I are shopping for rings right now.  Are there some styles that can be worn without scratching the wood finish of the harp?  I don't want to have to take my ring off every time I practice or perform.  If I got a style that was fairly flat, and didn't have any sharp prongs, would it be safe to wear without worry of damaging my instrument?  What about the gem itself?  I know that diamonds are the hardest substance in the world....

- Sign in to comment
    replies to "Engagement/ wedding rings that won't scratch the harp"
    • Kay
      Kay Lister

Amanda,

Unless it is a string tied around your finger, you are taking a risk playing with jewelry on.  Necklaces, rings, earrings, buttons, zippers - they all can do a number on the harp. I know that's not the answer you wanted - sorry.

Kay

- Sign in to comment
    • Tacye
      Tacye Phillipson

How often does the base of your ring finger touch the harp?  Especially the back where stones would be?  My concern would be the ring touching the string when damping or interfering with finger movement.

- Sign in to comment
    • Carl
      Carl Swanson

I agree with Kay. Unless the ring is made of rubber, you run the risk of it scratching the finish, even if it's completely flat with rounded corners.

- Sign in to comment
    • Jennifer
      Jennifer Buehler

Well, I wear my ring all the time.  I wish I got something flat because I'm always getting it stuck and even scratched my kids when they were babies.  However, it has never scratched my harp or interfered with damping (it might if it were a wider band)  However, this harp has been everywhere and while in fairly good condition I don't think a tiny ring scratch would show, LOL.

Jennifer

- Sign in to comment
    • Sarah
      Sarah Mullen

My husband worked with the jeweler to design a ring with a stone that was wide, but very shallow.  It is almost flush with the setting, so it doesn't catch on strings as I play, even if it twists around on my finger.  Also, their are huge advantages to wearing the ring.  Fewer interruptions from guys trying to ask me out while I'm trying to work, and substantially fewer problems with the creepy stalker fan boys, although you can never totally shake that type because withing the definition of creepy stalker fan boys is the whole "does not use reason, is not deterred by your obvious lack of interest."   I find the benefits of wearing the ring far out weigh the buzzing that sometimes occurs when I dampen the strings.   I still remove the rings to record, but I leave them on for most gigs.  

- Sign in to comment
    • Amanda
      Amanda Woosley Kai

Thanks so much for the advice!  

- Sign in to comment
    • Tonya
      Tonya A

My husband designed my wedding ring with the help of a jeweler just as Sarah's husband did - the back of the ring is wide, but the front is wider so the ring doesn't spin as I play.  The diamond is set flush with the gold and I've never had a problem with it catching on anything.  This is the old-fashioned way jewelers used to set stones, before the Tiffany-style settings with prongs came into vogue.

I do agree with the previous posters, however, that the biggest problem is when damping the strings.  I take my ring off when I record as well.

- Sign in to comment
    • Karen
      Karen S

Check out Tiffany's engagement ring called the "Etoile". Congrats!

- Sign in to comment
    • Karen
      Karen S

Other than it being beautiful, simple and classic, it can serve as your wedding ring also and you won't need to wear two (which so many women do not do......they end up putting the expensive diamond in a jewelry box and just wearing their wedding band after a few years.

Also, I heard of a woman whose future betrothed gave her the choice between a new harp or a diamond ring for their engagement.......guess which one she chose!

- Sign in to comment
    • Renee
      Renee Singlemann

When I got engaged, my fiance found a great ring.  it is very thin and narrow on the palm side so it is as if it is not there.  I know this means I have to watch for wear and tear more on that side then the stone side, but I do not have trouble with buzzing when muffling, or damaging the harp.  The ring it self is small, so I don't really feel it when I play, or any other time.  It is great!  It has three diamonds: one larger one and then two smaller ones.  I have yet to hit my harp with them, that side of my hand rarely touches the harp. He said that you can get the ring width narrowed and thinned if you ask at most places.

- Sign in to comment
    • Katerina
      Katerina King

Dear Amanda,

I suggest wearing the ring on your finger, and not on your right wrist, right shoulder, waist, belly button, thigh and breasts. That should prevent any contact between your ring and the wooden surface of the harp.

Congratulations, btw ;-)

- Sign in to comment
    • Brinda
      Brinda Shah

In order to prevent this one requires to go with platinum metal as it is the most durable and even have less chances of getting scratched or damaged. Also, it is very expensive but also has a substitute of white gold. Though, white gold diamond ring or wedding ring is not much very affective compared to Platinum.

- Sign in to comment