harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Coffee Break » Bernard Andres compositions

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

Bernard Andres compositions

• Deb
    Deb L

I thought it was the Korrigan that inspired me to play everyday, and I realize now that it is the Bernard Andres compositions that made me choose the harp.  I wonder if anyone else has found his compositions to be like a story book, almost like guided meditation.  There are times when I play one of his compositions that I am so struck by the beauty of the harmonies and the transition, that I stop in wonder.  I enjoy just thinking about the combinations of notes even when I'm not playing the harp.  The way the left and right hand work together is just right.  It's almost mathematical and it is the perfect focus for my mind. 

I had started another thread on his music before, but it was all over the place as I was new in my discovery.  I think one of my favorite pieces is Menuet.  I love the big chords and the 2nd page is so beautiful.  But the second page would be nothing without the first.  Something about the way it builds up and releases to a place of perfect beauty.  I wish I could explain it better but I noticed in all of his pieces there are places where the melody transforms into beautiful harmonies and the timing alters.  I play his music just to get to these places.  I'm not educated in music enough to explain it, I just know it makes me feel so liberated.  I started Pavane last night and I loved it immediately.  Whenever I feel burdened I play the first Aquatints and it makes me feel lighthearted and full of wonder in it's beautiful simplicity.  Every one of his songs has a different mood or feel.

I would love to hear others thoughts on his compositions.

- Sign in to comment
    replies to "Bernard Andres compositions"
    • J
      J Valentine

Oh, I do love his work. I will get to Automates, hopefully this year. I just listen to them now. Someday I want to play Un bal a la Campagne, found on a CD Harping on a Harp by Silke Aichhom. It will be a few years as I am just now slowly learning Ribambelle and Aquatintes.

- Sign in to comment
    • Deb
      Deb L

hi J, what is your favorite so far?  I've only played the first Aquatints, are the others as beautiful?  I find them to sound much more beautiful when playing rather than listening, I think you appreciate more the subtleties and can add your own interpretation.

- Sign in to comment
    • Kate
      Kate Miller

I totally agree! His compositions are so beautiful. Aquatintes IV is my favorite, so simple yet really mesmerizing.

Danses D'Automne is a great book too but a real challenge for me at the moment .

Dance No 4 is the one I'm working on, can't wait to be able to play it so fluently like this reacording.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gtyLFLhGdQ&list=PLB9BCDBECD84A0419&index=8&feature=plpp_video

- Sign in to comment
    • Deb
      Deb L

Kate, I've watched that video many times and long to play it one day, but am a long ways from it now!  I'm going to try Aquatines IV tonight.  It's nice to throw in an easier piece to balance out the really challenging stuff.  I have Vanille down except for a section on page 3 that I've been focusing on.  Sometimes it's a long haul, but I never want to give up on these, they are worthy of my time and energy!

- Sign in to comment
    • Briggsie B.
      Briggsie B. Peawiggle, Esq.

His music is WONDERFUL. From the very first on my harp, I was able to play his beautiful compositions, and now after 6 years of intense study and moving into advanced music, I can STILL enjoy learning challenging Andres' pieces. I totally LOVE his pieces......the harmonies are so beautiful.......and so.......so.....FRENCH! LOL.....

Briggsie 

- Sign in to comment
    • Kay
      Kay Lister

BRIGGSIE - YOU'RE BACK!  SO GLAD TO HEAR FROM YOU! Hope you have been well.  Catch us up on what fun harpy things you have been up to.

Kay ;-)

- Sign in to comment
    • Briggsie B.

Yeah, I'm back. Hi Kay...thanks for the great, happy welcome back. :)  Well, I retired from teaching music in June 2010, and immediately auditioned and got a job as organist at a pretty big church. I accompany the chancel choir, am the organist for the services, direct the children's choir and direct the bell choir. I've even started composing some bell pieces because it's just FUN, and I wrote a couple of children's choir anthems.

My mom, who moved from mild dementia to advanced dementia within a few years passed away last fall. I was in the darkest of dark funks from that throughout the winter, so I spent my time spinning on my spinning wheels and knitting. I started back on harp in January, after a 6 month or so break from it. I wanted to concentrate more on organ for a bit, but I have my chops back, and I missed my harp studies.

So right now I'm working on La Source (Hasselmans), and working my way through Ceremony of Carols, along with a little brushing up of Andres' Pistache (from Les Epices).

We also got a second rescue hound doggie in March of '10, and he has fit into the scheme of things here really well. I really enjoy my fiber exploits, my dogs and the rest of my life. I wish I could do more singing, but there just isn't time in the day.

What's new with you, Kay?

- Sign in to comment
    • Sherry
      Sherry Lenox

First, it is wonderful to see you posting again! Second, my heart is with you in your loss.

You have picked a wonderfully ambitious program to start playing again. I wish I were equal to it.

Still, with perserverence I may get to that Ceremony of Carols yet, if only at home with a CD player.

Again, great to see you posting again!

- Sign in to comment
    • Kay
      Kay Lister

Briggsie,

Well, in a nutshell, I have had a Masters Class with Yolonda Kondanassis AND Alice Giles in Oct. and Nov. AND just had a private lesson with Deborah Henson-Conant this past weekend at BITM.  It's been a MARVELOUS few months in harp land, all thanks to my wonderful instructor AND friend Becky Smith!  She encourages me, and pushes me and we have fun together - it just doesn't get any better.  OH, and I now have THREE grandbabies!!

Again - glad you are back and sorry about your Mom!

Kay

- Sign in to comment
    • Briggsie B.

Thanks Sherry. The chancel choir director where I play and I were talking about how much fun it would be to do some of the movements from Ceremony of Carols, and my harp teacher assured me it would work for me now....so we are just plugging along. This evening I was working on the little nasty run at the end of Wolcum Yole, and I bygum almost played it at tempo -- once. LOL....It'll come though. I just want to learn all the movements so I can actually play it when needed somewhere.

I sure do miss my mom a lot though. She really was my best friend. We were always close. She was my first music teacher. We always shared the music thing.....and I was closer to her than my other siblings who had moved away. It was hard watching her fail, and I prayed for God to take her, and when she passed, it was a blessing for her, but it sure was hard for me.

- Sign in to comment
    • Briggsie B.

Kay, WOOT WOOT!!!!! You are really having harp heaven, girl!!! I'm happy to read this.

Thanks about my mom. It was her time.....but it's hard for me to accept it.

- Sign in to comment
    • Deb
      Deb L

Pistache is a very cool song Briggsie!  very dramatic (is that what you mean by French?)  I just started Muscade.  I love the jazzy rhythms in Epices.  I was planning (as usual) to learn something other than Andres for my next song but I just can't help myself.

- Sign in to comment
    • Briggsie B.

Thanks Deb L. I love his pieces. No....actually that one sounds kind of Spanish doesn't it? I just mean his harmonies and the overall feeling I get from listening to his pieces sound French. You can tell his heritage when you listen to his style if you have listened to/studied lots of French music.

- Sign in to comment
    • Deb
      Deb L

I think Muscade sounds Spanish, or did you mean Pistache sounded Spanish to you?  Pistache sounds like a meltdown..or an episdode..but having fun with it.  Some of his harmonies sound like Renie.  Grandjany, Hasselmans, I guess those are the composers that have similar French feel.  Are there others with that style?  I think Salzedo has his own style though don't you? even though he studied with Hasselmans.

- Sign in to comment
    • Briggsie B.

I meant Pistache sounds Spanish (with some French harmonies in it). A meltdown -- LOL......Those are the composers I was thinking of -- and Debussy and Ravel. Yeah Salzedo is just Salzedo. :)

- Sign in to comment
    • Zoraida
      Zoraida Avila

I love Les Ilets, five funny dances: Mambo (with percussion ad libitum),
      Rumba, Baïon, Reggae and Samba. Great!
      Zoraida

- Sign in to comment