harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Coffee Break » Manly Harps

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

Manly Harps

• Vince
    Vince Pierce

In relation to Rosemary's recent post about pretty harps, which harps do you think are the most masculine-looking? I would have to go with the LH Salzedo first, and the style 30. I think many of the Salvi harps are less frilly, and more contemporary in style. I think the Apollo, Aurora, Diana, and Orchestra models are kind of less feminine. No gold for me, really. I do like the LH style 26 and 3 are very nice, though. I wonder what those look like with less gold.

What are your thoughts on the LH 100 and 17? And soundboard decoration?

- Sign in to comment
    replies to "Manly Harps"
    • Saul
      Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Manly Harps, didn't he used to cut my hair?

I agree on the Salzedo model, but I think the 23 and 3 are also manly, even the 26 and 11.  It's really in who plays it, not the decoration.

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

The 100 could be unisex in my opinion, but then they all could be really (in agreement with Saul's posts).

Wurtlitzers have a stately quality that I think could be a manly harp despite all the decoration, they are chunky and strong. And any Horngacher, but even the Orchestra which is very ornate. Strong sturdy looking harps. The Salzedo and the Apollo are obvious strong choices.

And actually, what about any gold and ornate harp, in ebony and gold? I think the 23 in black and gold is very striking. And Carls empire in black and gold, has an appeal -  for boys in black dinner suits with smashing bow ties!! Tres chic.

- Sign in to comment
    • Charles
      Charles Hooper

I think it's the harp not the player-for example if I see a woman playing a L&H 30,Salzedo, Louis XV Salvi Apollp,  Scolpita or the  Wurlitzer CG Alberto Salvi is pictured with on the cover of the AHJ vol 7 no.3 summer, 1980 these instrument  just looks male to me so I'd say "he's whiped" especially if she played the hell out of something.

If I see a guy playing a L&H 11, 23,17, SalviApillonia, Iris, CamacTrianon, Oriane to me that would look like a dude out to dinner with his great aunt.

In my "Could go either way" catagory would the Camac Blues,Clio,Athena, Prestige, Salvi Sinfonietta, Aurora, Arianna,Minerva, L&H 100,20 and several of the Venus harps.

As for painted designs on sound boards I like the red and silver on the Salzedo I think less is more.  I'd like to see someone market a modern tasteful design on a sound board enough with all the swirly, vines and flowers.

That being said I still fine all harps beautiful in their own "special" way.

Charles

And don't get me started on those  short ,fat, heavy harps, with the dark mellow tone made in germany that are to expensive to be sold here, those have to be  old manly pipe smokers or named Olga. 

Those models look like old spinsters to me.

The 26  and 3 looks manly to me because have capitals that are block like and I've heard of a few block head guys.

- Sign in to comment
    • Jerusha
      Jerusha Amado

If I were a man, (and I'm not!) I would go for the Salzedo or the Salvi Arianna.

Jerusha

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

Charles, that is so funny! You well and truly have got me back for my naughty Scolopita comment! Call me Olga anytime!

Still laughing,

Rosemary (alias Olga the pipe smoking gal...)

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

So old spinsters are "short, fat and heavy"!? And old married women are not?

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

Most of the spinsters I know are scintillating, arty and sophisticated!

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

Actually that Camac one we talked about on the other thread, the Trianon, that is quite a strong looking statement harp... could be a guy harp.

My Aurora was called Frank. I thought it a boy. His name happened by accident when I was trying to sell it. Someone rung up interested and asked me what my harp was called - and I just said Frank as a joke and then it kind of stuck - big, heavy and hard to get in and out of cars...a Frankensteins monster to move about. It had a great sound though.

- Sign in to comment
    • Briggsie B.
      Briggsie B. Peawiggle, Esq.

I think a mahogany Camac Atlantide with no "scrambled eggs" on the soundboard is pretty masculine looking. It has very clean lines. The blonde is beautiful, but it's kinda more "girly" than the darker colors. I love my Athena, but now I really really want an Atlantide. No money......ain't gonna happen. WAAAAAAAH! Let's see, all I have to do is play like 2000 gigs, and I'll have it. <big yucks>

June

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

Scrambled eggies on the soundboard? Is that the decal?

- Sign in to comment
    • Briggsie B.

Yes....the flowery, leafy, goldy curly wurlies!

Briggs

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

You mean the manly strong flowery leafy curly wurlies......

But then, if you were a guy wouldn't you want a harp that was a gal? I mean, all those pilots that painted piccies of gals on the side of their planes, and aren't ships gals as well for the same reason. Or is this just too weird to contemplate?

My harps are boys. Oscar the minstrel harp, and I haven't chosen a name for the 100 yet. Maybe Humphrey...

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

I'd agree that the Salzedo seems rather masculine, although I might just be imposing my own ideas of the harp having the man's name. (What a cool legacy!) While I think gilded harps look beautiful, I would not personally want to own one. I like the look of natural dark woods.

As for lever harps, I have to say that the Triplett 'Eclipse' seems rather "butch" to me. The design reminds me of a hunters bow. While I have never been a hunting enthusiast, I do enjoy archery target practice.

- Sign in to comment
    • Briggsie B.

HAHAHA....I don't think them manly, but actually Big Daddy has them, and he's VERY manly. <s>

I tried to name the Camac some manly French name -- at the moment I can't remember what it was -- but he told me his name is Big Daddy. I think he's a good ole southern boy, actually, since I got him from Richmond, VA. But Big Daddy it is!  My Troubie is named Patrick though, and he likes that name. A friend of mine who plays the harp's husband regarded me with great disgust at naming my harps. FIE ON HIM!!!!

BB

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

"The 26  and 3 looks manly to me because have capitals that are block like and I've heard of a few block head guys."

Ahhh, now I understand.  I am strongly attracted to both of these models.  It turns out that I'm just looking for a harp that resembles my husband. <sigh>  Won't he be jealous!!!!

Jenn

- Sign in to comment
    • Unknown
      Unknown User

Ahh, darling frilly, haven't seen you in ages since we went to sunday school together down by the old oak tree...

Hmm, as to Manly types of harp....I'd actually say that most celtic style harps are somewhat uni sex. But those Thormalen (sorry about the spelling) harps have a kind of bow like strength - like Ted was mentioning.

- Sign in to comment
    • Tony
      Tony Morosco

Definitely the Salzedo. Also some of the Camac harps. An Athena, Atlantide, or Blue, but with plain soundboard. Also the L&H 100.

Nothing makes a harp look more girly than flowers and frilly designs on the soundboard. A Celtic design on a lever harp is fine, and the decoration on the Salzedo I like, but otherwise I tend to not like most soundboard decoration.

I know when I finally make the plunge to buy a new harp I am going to have to special order it. I never see harps I like in the finish I like with no decoration on the soundboard.

- Sign in to comment
    • Tacye
      Tacye Phillipson

The Pilgrim Canterbury is definitely masculine to me- their Salisbury too.

- Sign in to comment
    • Jerusha
      Jerusha Amado

Tony,

What do you think of Carl's La Scuola?  It doesn't have any design on the soundboard unless you want one.  If I ever buy another pedal harp, I'd order one with a plain soundboard and walnut beading on the soundboard's edges.  I like plain harps with clean lines.  (However, I don't mind exotic figuring and grain markings in the wood!)

- Sign in to comment
    • Andy
      Andy B

I've played one of Carl's La Scuolas and one of his Semi-gilded Empires.  Both great harps (pauses to wipe harp drool off chin).

- Sign in to comment