harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Amateur Harpists » harp came without tuning key

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

harp came without tuning key

• Unknown
    Unknown User

We were able to get a bargain on a 22 string celtic harp for my daughter when the music store we rent her cello from aquired one from another, defunct music store.  The harp did not include a tuning key.  There are no markings inside the sound box save for a very fancifully scrawled number two.  How do we determine what size tuning key we need to buy? 

replies to "harp came without tuning key"
    • Audrey
      Audrey Nickel

Can you post a picture of the harp...or better yet, of one of the tuning pegs?

(Please tell me it isn't rosewood, with lots of fancy carving on the side...).

Audrey

• Unknown
      Unknown User

Dear Audrey,

I'm sorry, I dont' know how to tell if the harp is made of Rosewood.  It does have carvings on it.  I also can't figure out how to post pictures on this reply.

Lani

• Unknown
      Unknown User

PS,

After looking at the harp again, and at some pictures online, I belive the harp is cherry, not rosewood.

• Liam
      Liam M

Hi Lani.... I happen to be the proud owner of a dozen or so tuning keys.  If you would like, I'll send you one. Email me at Columcille@cableone.net

• Audrey
      Audrey Nickel

Does it look kind of like this?

http://www.banjofactory.com/htha-v%20Heather%20Harp.jpg

Audrey

• Unknown
      Unknown User

Dear Liam,

Thank you, but as of right now, I still don't know the maker of our harp, or what size turning key we need.  -Lani

• Unknown
      Unknown User

Dear Audrey, 

Not quite.  On our harp, the slanted interior board the lower strings go into is unfinished.  It has an upside down shaped heart near the top of it.  The finish on our harp seems darker, and the carvings do not extend to the curved upper part above the sound box.  They are confined to the sides.  I still cannot figure out how to post the pictures.

• Jennifer
      Jennifer Buehler

Argent Fox harps http://www.argentfox.com/index.htm

cuts blanks for tuning pins and sells tuning keys.  They may be able to tell you how to measure your tuning pins and figure out what kind of key you need

Jennifer

• Audrey
      Audrey Nickel

To post pictures, you need to upload the pics to a photo hosting site, such as www.photobucket.com.  Then you can just give us the URL of the photo.

I'm very suspicious that this may be a Pakistani harp.  Those carvings on the side are usually a dead giveaway.

Audrey

• Barbara
      Barbara Brundage

This sounds very much like a Paki. You could contact mid-east manufacturing (www.mid-east.com), or you could also try the new universal tuning key from Dusty Strings, although they are pretty expensive.

• Linda
      Linda Black

It might be possible that this harp is a Musicmaker harp. You can buy kits and put them together yourself or they can make it for you. One option they have is carved sides. Check out their website and look under "Harps" and "Decorate Your Kit". www.harpkit.com

• Liam
      Liam M

No real problem Lani, measure the width, flat to flat of the square end and I can match it.

(I bought a "Lot" of harp parts on ebay for the strings and some experiments I am conducting... in the lot was an assortment of tuning keys)

• Unknown
      Unknown User

Thank you for the info.  I checked it out, but what is on their site does not look like our harp at all.  The carvings on our harp are raised, not carved in by a router. My daugther has her first lesson at a music school tonight.  I am hoping her teacher will be able to identify our harp.  But I will be following Audrey's instrucitons for posting photos, just in case the teacher can't id the harp.

• Unknown
      Unknown User

Dear Audrey,

Thank you for letting me know about photobucket.  Here are the pics.  I hope they show up. My software won't let me see them!

• Tacye
      Tacye Phillipson

I don't see the pictures- but another option with the heart shaped hole is a Stoney End harp -they generally are not carved, but that does not prevent someone deciding to carve one.

• Audrey
      Audrey Nickel

That's very possible, Tacye.  I've been trying to remember where I've seen a harp with a heart-shaped cutout at the top of the soundboard, and now I remember...it was when I was researching the Stoney End "Cláirseach."  True, they're not usually carved, but Stoney End does sell their harps in kit form, as well as "in the white," and it's possible someone bought one like that, and did their own carving.  They do use cherry, too.

Other than the carvings, does it look anything like this, Lani?

http://www.stoneyend.com/brittany.html

Your picture isn't showing up on the site.  Can you post a link to it instead?

Audrey

• Audrey
      Audrey Nickel

This is Stoney End's other 22-string harp:

http://www.stoneyend.com/eve.html

Audrey

• Karen
      Karen Johns

Stumbled across this website- could this be your harp?

www.concertcruises.com/handverks.html

look at the 22 string Irish-Celtic Lap Harp

Karen

• Audrey
      Audrey Nickel

The picture on the Handverks site is the Stoney End Brittany...same as the link I posted.  I don't know why they're not crediting the manufacturer, but that's what it is.

Audrey

• Unknown
      Unknown User

Dear Audrey,

Our does look like the Stoney End harps.  My daughter's teacher says the harp was likely made in Venezuela.  Thank you so much for all your help!  My daughter's first lesson went very well, and we are looking forward to her future lessons.