harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Amateur Harpists » Stoney End Owners

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

Stoney End Owners

• Unknown
    Unknown User

If you own one or have played one. Please post your comments here.  Sara

BRIAR ROSE

Anne sounds like a monster tone for its size.

EvenSong ?? Jennifer, did you ever get a chance to play one?

Any comments on the above or other models of Stoney End.. Km

replies to "Stoney End Owners"
    • Leigh
      Leigh Griffith

Hi Ken,

I have a Stoney End Eve (22 strings) that I bought ten years ago. I
      play in an ensemble here in northern Maine which meets weekly and plays
      three to four concerts a year. I have only broken one string in ten
      years and am just now thinking of changing some strings out because of
      loss of sound quality. My teacher (who has three harps by Jay Witcher)
      said that it had a sweet tone and great projection for its size.
      Friends who have come to our concerts say that they can hear me over
      the other harps in the group - all 12 of them! I have always liked its
      tone, myself.

I also have a friend who has the Lorraine model (in cherry) which is
      about 20 years old. It is the first harp I ever played. It has an
      incredibly rich sound for its size (I think), although he has had to do
      repairs to the  neck/pillar joint. I am not a tall person and it
      is a very comfortable size for me to play and is very portable due to
      size and weight. The only thing I wish is that it went down to F and up
      to A (it is G to G), as our group plays a lot of music that includes
      both notes.

I am also looking for a floor model harp at this time and have about
      the same amount of funds, so I am following all the answers to your
      questions very closely! Thanks for asking them!

Leigh

• Unknown
      Unknown User

Stoney End Eve you have sounds wonderful, that is really something Liegh. 10 years!! You really got you moneys worth of tone out of those strings. I think you are ready for a new full set of strings, unless you plan on moving up in a bigger harp in the near future. If not, 30 dollars for a new set. I saw the Sara from Stoney End web site. It had the F string that so many like yourelf have requested. Nut mot the high A. After comparing the string gauge to the Lorraine. It has a bit more string tension using a few heavier gauge strings than the Lorraine.. Which I think I would like. If you are getting that much volume out of the Eve.. Look out when you get a bigger body floor model harp.. Have you posted any mp3's of your playing anywhere? I still not sure what I'm going to get. My eyes are all ways bigger than my wallet..
      Everyone here seems real nice. There is alot of us lurking and enjoy what everyone here has to say. As I and others enjoyed what you have to say. Look forward to hearing to what harp you may be considering to get next. Km

• Jennifer
      Jennifer Buehler

I managed to finagle my husband into bringing me to the Stoney End shop on our vacation.  They didn't have an Anne in stock but I did try the EvenSong.  I totally want one but, Ken, I think at this point in time it's not what you want as it only has 26 strings.  I tried one of their floor harps but don't remember which one.  The balance felt off to me but I guess it had the shorter legs on it.  I recommend the longer legs if you go for a Stoney End. 

My Brittany took a  lot of abuse and still had a great sound at ten years old when I sent it with a friend to China.

Jennifer

• Jennifer
      Jennifer Buehler

I manage to talk my husband into taking me to the Stoney End shop on Vacation.  They didn't have an Anne in stock but I did try the Evensong.  I totally want one because I used to play bedside quite a bit and it would also be great to take to my toddler and preschool music classes that I teach.  However, it does only have 26 strings.  From your previous posts I really think you would be happier with a bigger harp.  I did try one of their floor harps but don't remember which one.  I didn't like the balance but it had the shorter legs.  I gues you have a choice between shorter and longer legs.  I recommend the longer legs.

My 22 string Brittany had a great sound and still sounded good at 10 years old when I sent it with a friend to China.

Jennifer

• Jennifer
      Jennifer Buehler

Oops didn't mean to post twice.  I thought I lost my original message.

Jennifer

• Unknown
      Unknown User

I can see the body of the harp aging nicely over 10 years.  But 10 years on  a set of string. Thats amazing.. Bet Leigh's Eve harp would really spring to life with a new set..

The Anne, that look like allot of harp. Weighing in at 12 pounds.. Whew.. I'm set now.. Just laying low until I see a used one pop up. That has pretty much what I'm looking for and for my level of play. I still want to get alot better on the violin and piano.. So many notes and so little time to play them..

Hope your husband let you stay in the store and play and touch everything. Bet it was fun.. Km

• Unknown
      Unknown User

Leigh, the Blevins Catrin 31 51" h x 12" w Range: F6 up to a.   Weight:  19.5 lbs. Looks to be a nice Harp that fits the musical range nicely. They can use any type of wood to make it even sassafras and sycamore. Have you ever heard of either of those wood? Km

• Leigh
      Leigh Griffith

Thanks, Ken, I'll have to check that one out! I have heard of using
      sassafras, and I think some of the harps in the UK are sycamore, but I
      haven't heard either one in person. Most of the harps in our ensemble
      are maple student harps made by Jay Witcher which sound great, are in
      the price range and go from F to A, it is just that they are quite
      heavy (harp and case together are 35 pounds). I know that the pedal
      harpists on here are probably laughing out loud at that, but I broke my
      back as a child and just can't lift that much.

• Tacye
      Tacye Phillipson

Sycamore is a variety of maple.

Have you considered the Dusty Strings Ravenna 34?  I was impressed (for the US price, ��2000 is less attractive).  Are any of the Camacs in your price range?

• Audrey
      Audrey Nickel

I got a chance to see a Ravenna 34 at a concert the other night (this
      one was all in black, which was quite attractive).  Quite a nice
      harp, with the same characteristic "bright" tone of the Ravenna 26.

Audrey

• Unknown
      Unknown User

Tacye, the Ravenna 34 does look very nice.. The features too..

"All the lever holes are pre-drilled, making it easy to add levers at a later date.  The built-in leg drops smoothly into place for convenient and adjustable playing support."

That a great ideal it affordable and then adding levers as you progress, plus the 14 inch pull out stand looks pretty nifty to play anywhere.. Thanks for pointing that model out..

Believe a couple folks here have that one.. Maybe they well chime in and tells there thoughts about it..  Ken

Audrey, how was the overall bass .

• Kari
      Kari T

Hi Ken,

I have the Anne, which does have a great sound for it's size and I also have the Briar Rose and absolutely love it. Both harps are cherry and in the brochure Stoney End sent me it said that the Briar Rose would have a mellow tone in the cherry wood and a brighter sound in walnut (exactly the opposite of what the brochure says about the Braunwen). I do find my harp to have a nice, mellow tone with no 'twangy' sound to it. To me its voice is much bigger than what you would expect from it.

Kari T

• Unknown
      Unknown User

Kari.. thanks.. How are you using both harps. Like playng out, night bedroom use etc? Which one do you find you play more.. Think it is a good ideal to have a lap and a floor model. Briar Rose, from what I was reading, it has a heaver string tension. it must really put out some bass, How the string tension feel? Ken

• Kari
      Kari T

Hi Ken,

Well, I had the Anne first so that was what I learned on and I still like to practice  on it especially when I don't want to practice any "proper" skills so to speak such as my sitting position, my fingering etc. I like to sit on my bed and play it (which is a little awkward at times since it is bigger than a regular lap harp) or just take it out and sit on the floor or ground if I'm outside and get comfy and just enjoy it. The Briar Rose I do use most often though,for practicing also when I play at nursing homes (the only place I play in public regularly, only played once at church) or for family gatherings. Since it isn't so big it is fairly easy to transport.  The string tension isn't what I would say  too heavy but more so than other harps I have seen in its size. And yes it does put out some bass, it also seems to be, quite happily to me, very resonant. Aside from the fact that I like the string tension, sound, and look of both the Anne and Briar Rose the people at Stoney End are very friendly and easy to deal with. I had many questions when I bought my first harp and they were more than happy to chat away with me on the phone and very responsive to my e-mails. Bottom line for me is, I love both of these harps and I have never once regretted my choice.

Hope this helps a little bit,

Kari T

• Jennifer
      Jennifer Buehler

One thing to keep in mind as you research the prices of harps is what accessories are included as part of the price of the harp.  Does that price include a case, extra strings, or a full set of levers?  Maybe you can get by with out a case if the harp isn't going to leave your house.  For me however, I have to have a case and full levers and once you add the price of those in, some of those less expensive harps really aren't such a bargain. 

BTW, the Thormahlen Serenade that I mentioned comes with a full set of Camac levers and a case.

Jennifer

• Audrey
      Audrey Nickel

I didn't get a chance to evaluate the bass on the 34.  I can tell
      you that my 26 has a lovely, solid, rich tone throughout.  The
      reason I mentioned the treble specifically is that this is NOT an area
      I admire on a lot of harps.

Another nice thing about the Ravennas is a great many music stores
      carry them, so you might be able to find one locally to evaluate
      yourself.  If you contact Dusty Strings, they may be able to tell
      you of a dealer in your area that has them.

The stand is a nifty feature.  I have a leg set that I use most of
      the time for practicing at home (it's nice to be able to leave it
      standing up if I have to answer the phone or something), but the
      retracting stand works well for lessons and such.

Audrey

• Unknown
      Unknown User

Good point Jennifer regarding the extras. I have only found one seller http://www.harpcenter.com/ . That gives a free extra set of string with  a purchase of a new harp. Plus all the sellers I have contacted. Don't even have any harps in stock. Must of been a heck of a Xmas season for harp sales. It well be over a month to get one. Going to put this all on hold for a floor model until I take a ride out of state if need be come spring.
      And play and look at a few for
      myself. This way I well have more
      money saved and have a better
      understanding to get the one that
      fits my needs without having to skim on features. There is allot more in to buying a floor harp model than I though, as you all have pointed out.  

Kari, I know what you mean with the
      lap. The Noteworthy I had and just
      sold. Was great for the backporch swing in the summer time. But it was a tad small for my big hands and the tone quaility wasn't as good as I wanted. Think I well buy a lap harp for now. At least it well keep me practicing and considering my level of play. Regarding the the Briar Rose being very resonant is wonderful to here. And with Audrey being so please with her EVE. Sounds like Stoney End is making a excellent harp for a good price.
      Funny how the house seems so empty with out a harps tone and presence. I take care of my 91 mother. She can barely see now . But her hearing and health is excellent. Every night now.. She been asking me to play the harp for her. As pretty as the tone of the other instuments I play for her. All she want to hear me play is the harp at night for her. Yikes.. I got to get one soon before she realizes I sold the one I had.. ken 

• Audrey
      Audrey Nickel

I think it's Leigh who has the Eve, Ken.  I have the Ravenna.

Audrey

• Leigh
      Leigh Griffith

Yup, I'm the one with the Eve. The strings are closer together than
      they are on the larger Stoney End harps, which is good for my short
      fingers, but might be too close for someone with bigger hands. I know
      my husband complains about that when he gives it a try now and then.

Ken, where are you located? I got my Eve at Song of the Sea in Bar
      Harbor, Maine. Of course prices have gone up, but I got the package
      deal - harp, Zen-On tuner (last time I saw one it cost $100.00), padded
      case, extra set of strings and the Sylvia Woods', Teach Yourself book
      for less than the cost of just the harp in today's prices.

If you aren't on the East coast, it may not be a cost effective alternative for you.

We had our first rehearsal after the holidays this morning and one of
      our members is selling one of her Jay Witcher harps for $1500.00. I was
      tempted, but it only has 26 strings (C to G). It does have a lovely
      sound which is very even from bass to top. I don't think she has a case
      for it, it was wrapped in a blanket this morning.

Cheers,

Leigh

• Tacye
      Tacye Phillipson

I also have an Eve which is a good little harp, resonant, very (maybe overly to my ears) bright and mostly consistent sound (the top and bottom string are, as usual, less good).  However  the string spacing, tension and technique to get the best out of it are so different from the other harps I play that I don't count any playing on it as technical practice.  I am in fact retreating more to my main harp (pedal) and believe that one really good harp is far more enjoyable than the choice of one or more less ideal instruments. 

Ken, can you hire a harp from anyone for the next few months as this will probably deduct less from your floor harp budget and so give you greater available choice of instruments (and maybe let you get used to playing a larger harp) than buying a lap harp?