harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Amateur Harpists » STONEY END LAP HARP REVIEW ANYONE?

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

STONEY END LAP HARP REVIEW ANYONE?

• Karen
    Karen Agabin

I am considering purchasing a Stoney End harp, the BRittany harp with 22 strings. I haven't seen much review on Stoney End harps. DOes anyone have any experience and review of their small harps?

replies to "STONEY END LAP HARP REVIEW ANYONE?"
    • Jennifer
      Jennifer Buehler

I have a little Brittany that I've had for years.  I just got it back after loaning it out for several years to a woman who took it to China in her suitcase!  It is a compact and sturdy little harp with a sweet sound.  It's a little big to fit in the overhead as a carryon.  The newer therapy harps have a nicer sound but the upper range of the Brittany is sweet and bell-like with out being tinny.  The tension is surprisingly high for a harp of that size.  It is a little harder to find music for a 22 string harp (rather than a 25 string with the low C) but if your theory skills are decent you can adapt many of the Sylvia Woods A parts for the harp and there are several books at Melody's www.folkharp.com that fit the 22 string G-G range.