harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Amateur Harpists » Dry, splitting, cracking,...

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips

• Unknown
    Unknown User

A couple years ago I was given a flyer about Finger Cream made

by "Musico." There were numerous testimonials about the efficacy of

the product, so I went to the site.

I found a large FOR SALE sign at the site and couldn't get any

response from the email address posted there.

Because we're going into winter now, humidity levels are changing and

my finger tips are suffering from harp playing as well as dryness, I

wonder if anyone can tell me who might be selling this cream.

Thank you very much.

Pat McBride

replies to "Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips"
    • Donna
      Donna Benier

Hi Pat. I haven't heard of that cream, but I always use a thick lotion with glycerin in it. A lot of times, I find it on display in several scents in "gift shops".  I have been told, though, that any large pharmacy can mix up a batch of lotion and add glycerin to it. You might try that! Donna

• Unknown
      Unknown User

Dear Pat, The section of the pharmacy that stocks diabetic supplies will have an antibacterial cream that is excellent for dry, cracked fingers and feet. Diabetics often suffer from cracked fingertips because of the constant lancing for blood to test blood sugar levels. The brand name stuff is really expensive (almost $12.00) but I buy the Walmart generic brand "Reli-On" and I think it is just as good. Try to avoid soaking your hands in water and washing your hands as much as possible. You can put a good layer of cream on your hands and slip on a pair of rubber gloves and sleep with them on for a good treatment. Mary Kay comsetics also has a good hand treatment product. Chronic dry skin can be a symptom of an underlying medical condition...low thyroid, diabetes, hormone imbalance, etc. You might mention it to your doctor sometime. Best wishes. Melanie

• Unknown
      Unknown User

I forgot to mention the product "New Skin."  It wouldn't be helpful for a bad case of cracked fingers but it is very helpful if you want to play or practice and have some minor sore spots or potential blisters.  It is a liquid bandage product, dries to a clear protective coating that actually withstands harp string fairly well.  If you know that you are going to have to play a long gig and your fingers might not be up to it...applying New Skin before and during playing can prevent problems.  One time, I had injured a finger and played with a actual bandaid.  I had tested a few kinds and found that the fabric ones with a bit of stretch gave the best tone quality.  I keep a couple in my gig bag...just in case.  Melanie

• Brandee
      Brandee Younger

Hi Pat.  I've never heard of that cream either but don't worry. I find it extremely easy to keep my hands in tact.  It is very important that your hands stay moisturized at all times.  Don't use cheap lotions.  Carry around with you a container of either Nivea, Lubriderm, Eucerin, or Vaseline Intensive Care lotion.  Before you leave your house in the morning, put vaseline (the petroleum jelly) on your hands and wear gloves everytime you go outside.  Everytime you use wash your hands or your hands begin to feel dry, apply lotion to them.  It's also important that your cuticles stay moisturized  so they look good when you play(I've found so many photographers that love to film my hands close up).  Before bed, apply the Vaseline again.  You will feel and see improvement almot instantly.  If you have trouble playing after putting on lotion, then get an oil- free lotion to use during the day but be sure to apply the vaseline at least in the morning and night.

Also, if you have trouble with you callouses (mine are often too hard), I was always told to file them and put lotion and vaseline on them at night.  That may also help.

• Meg
      Meg Rodgers

I have to say that I swear by Superglue.  I use it whenever I get a hangnail or cracked callouses in the winter.  I  even use it after I have to pierce a blister.  Superglue gel is pretty good because it is thicker and won't run....you can always use an emory board on the excess.  I have found that if I have several 5-6 hour practice days in a row, new skin wears off quickly but the Superglue lasts until the spot is healed.  My father is a chemist and has assured me that it won't hurt me...even my Doctor uses it occasionly on himself.

• Unknown
      Unknown User

Hi Pat, I just started playing the harp in September and this winter have had the same problem.  Oil of Olay has come out with a new line of products Total Effects.  The hand cream comes in a small black box.  The actual container is great to slip into your purse or your harp bag. My husband who is a diabetic also uses it.  I also sew and fabric dries out the hands as well.  This stuff is really good. It costs about $8.00 but you use it sparingly anyway.  Good luck, Judy

• Unknown
      Unknown User

After fifteen years of cracked bleeding finger tips and thousands of band-aids/topical creams I have found the cure.

Run to your drug store and get the new Advanced Healing BAND-AID that is in a SILVER BOX (get large size).  A friend said to try them and they are unbelievable.  They are 100% water proof and wrap your finger tips in a rubber-like material and last for about three days.  It took about six weeks for my fingers to heal.  I used a scissors to cut large size in half.  I used a nail clippers to trim the square edges after I install new bandages.  I don't work for this company or have stock in it.

Greg Apel 319-338-4739

560 Highland Park Blvd.

Coralville, Iowa 52241

• Unknown
      Unknown User

Try Heal My Hands products - specifically their Heal My Heels.  All nautural with shea buttern, lanolin, calendula and arnica, its the best for really dry, rough or cracking skin.  Buy it only online though, at www.healmyhands.com

• Unknown
      Unknown User

Hi Pat...any opportunity to give a testimonial! I work in the printing business and am constantly exposed to harsh conditions and even harsher chemicals. Around 1990, my thumbs started to crack and bleed...nothing worked. 1994 came and my index fingers started going. Winter was awful. The sides of my middle fingers started in around 1998. There were times that I had 4 or 5 fingers in various states of injury and still nothing really helped. Then in October of 1999, going into the winter, I desperately typed 'cracked finger tips' on a web explorer and found over a thousand 'hits'. Fortunately, the ZIM'S CRACK CREAM testimonial page was only a few hits down on the first page. Wallgreen's carried it, I got some, and in a few weeks, all my finger tips were healed and they have NEVER cracked since!! It's all natural, cheap, and easy to use. I supplement it with AVON's 'Moisture Therapy' hand cream and there have been no outbreaks in almost 3 years!! 'Nuff said!!

• Unknown
      Unknown User

I just wanted to reply to the last senderor reply.  I'm going to try the Zims Crack cream for my finger tips, as there constantly splitting several times a year.  I treat water for domestic use, and there either in water or chemicals all the time.

Best Regards,

Chuck...

P.S.  Thanks!

• Unknown
      Unknown User

Dear Pat,

My manicurist suggested Zim's Crack Cream for my dry, chapped hands.  His hands are in and out of water all day long, 6 days per week!  The product comes in a liquid spray-on (which my manicurist says is the best) or in a cream form.  I tried the spray-on about three weeks ago and I haven't had to reapply it since.  I also supplement it occasionally with other lotion.  But it was the Zim's Crack Cream that first took care of my very dry, cracked hands.  It smells like it might contain oil of cloves, but it is not an unpleasant smell.  I didn't expect it to work as well as it did because the spray form is thin.  The only drawback--and not really a very big one--is that you have to wash off the excess from your palms unless you apply it at night before going to bed.  Give it a try before retiring and then slip on a pair of cotton gloves.  By morning you will have a new pair of hands!  Good luck.

• Unknown
      Unknown User

I found that taking a daily Vitamin A suppliment helps alot.

• Unknown
      Unknown User

Hey Pat, my Dad is suffering from cracked, dry skin on his fingers and the skin is peeling back, he has been to a dermatoligist and they recommended a lotion with no results!!  I have been reading the replies, does the lotion above really work?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Unknown
      Unknown User

I am sorry, but I haven't heard about the cream you are asking for. I just wanted to inform everybody who uses New Skin. I have a medical conditon where the skin on my feet crack and bleed, much like the hands of a harpist. I see a dermatologist regularly and he told me to use Super Glue to help the cracks on my feet. He told me that everything is exactly the same between New Skin and Super Glue. He said that the only difference is the label. I would think that super glue would be better than a cloth band-aid while playing the harp.

Hope I could help, Carolin

• Unknown
      Unknown User

I suffered from dry splitting fingertips on my thumbs and forefinger on my right hand only.  I tried every over-the-counter product available; Avoided doing work thatrequired harsh chemicals; kept my hands out of water as much as possible etc. Then I just gave up!!  I decided to refinish a desk for my daughter.  Guess what cured my split finger and thumb. Brush cleaner!  I couldn't believe it.  I noticed a day later my forefinger was soft and not crecked and there was still a little cracking on my thumb so I applied more bruch cleaner and tadah . gone.  What is in turpentine?

• Unknown
      Unknown User

I have tried everything that you all recommended, nothing ever worked until I used a product called Melrose, I found it at Walmart. It worked great I applied it every night, and once iin awhile during the day and the splits went away.  But now I can't find it anymore.  Has anyone found it or heard of it?

• Unknown
      Unknown User

In response to the lady who asked about Melrose Cream. I have also been using it and bought a case from Wal Mart about 2 years ago at 99 cents a jar. I haven't been able to find it there anymore either. I just came from their web site and they want $7 per jar although it's cheaper by the case, like $3.50. I had called the company before buying the case at Wal Mart and they only wanted $2.50 a jar. I will keep checking and searching for a better price. Will report info when I get it.

• Unknown
      Unknown User

I just read all the emails on this site about cracking fingertips. I can barely type this because mine are so sore. I go through tubes of ointments and boxes of bandaids quicker than the red cross and started wondering if maybe I had diabetes.My dad died from it in September. I had my blood checked and thankfully, it was negative.

I am going to try the suggestions I just read starting with super glue. If that doesn't work, I made a list of every suggestion. I'll let you know the results. Thanks everyone!

Cindy

• Unknown
      Unknown User

I use a product by the Super Salve co. in Mogollon, New Mexico.  Every night, on my fingertips and hands I use their Arnica Muscle Easing Salve.  It's all-natural botanicals (arnica) and essential oils (wintergreen, camphor, ginger, clove, cayenne, mints and sage)in an olive oil, sweet almond oil, bees wax, cocoa butter, shea butter and vitamin E oil base.  The arnica eases any sore muscles in my fingers and hands.  It is a bit gooey, but that's why I use it at night before bed.  So far this winter, no cracks, splits or even rough cuticles!  They have a website:  www.supersalve.com

Deb

• Unknown
      Unknown User

I'm a professional bassist, and have suffered chronic skin cracking on my fingertips for some years....often just before a very important call.

Zim's worked in the short time, but wasn't a solution.

Someone here suggested NU-skin, but it peels off same day.

I found some (nail hardening) stuff called Hard As Nails which I brush onto the skin, and it gets me through a performance.

I'm now at the superglue stage.

My sympathies with all sufferers...please keep those hints coming!

JG