harpcolumn

practical news, for practical harpists

Forums » Amateur Harpists » Heartland Harps - Pros and Cons

About Forums

Welcome to the Harp Column forums. Please read the Terms and Conditions before posting. By using this forum, you agree to adhere to these terms.

Want to add links or emphasis to your posts? Read the Harp Column blog about posting shortcuts.

Heartland Harps - Pros and Cons

• Jan
    Jan Fetty

Would like to hear from owners of the new carbon fibre harps by Heartland Harps?  Any pros and cons?

replies to "Heartland Harps - Pros and Cons "
    • Kay
      Kay Lister

Hi Jan,

I don't own one, but my friend has one on order.  I sat next to someone at BITM who did have one.  It had a lovely tone and was very nice looking.  The thing was that it was SO light that she bumped it once and down it went.  It almost hit someone elses harp and the folks close by were very protective of there harps from that point on.  My friend who has ordered one is 81 years old and plays at 2 hospitals with her current harp (a heartland as well).  Even though it is fairly light itself (22lbs or so), it is becoming difficult for her to toat it.  The goal here is to leave the harp in the SUV and have her original one in the house for personal use. It will be much eaiser for her to transport it in and out of the hospitals/rooms, etc.  As I said before, the tone was nice and I'm sure for her purposes, it will be a great harp.  Just be careful, because of the light weight of it, it is easily knocked over.

Kay

• Michaela
      Michaela Braveman

I have my eye on one of these as well and am very interested in feedback. I am very intrigued by their latest small Infinity 36 harp. Would love to see a picture of one that looks like a wood (Heartland states that it looks so real that it can fool the most experienced luthier). A small, lightweight and virtually indestructible harp with 36 strings seems the perfect solution for air travel etc. Just wish they weren't so expensive....

Michaela

• HarpGlo
      HarpGlo Jean

Hi Jan,

Sorry, I don't own one (yet) either.....However, a friend of mine has the new carbon fiber Heartland Delight in a beautiful green color, and I was able to play it, lift it and listen to its fantastic tone while seated at the back of a very large room. All I can say is, it's a great harp! And yes, it could fall over in a not too strong wind, but it wouldn't take much to secure it either.  Of course, the "con" is the price..I think my friend paid over $6,000 for it, since she also wanted it in green.  I have my eyes on the 36 string carbon fiber harp, Infinity, but still waiting to hear back from Dave Woodworth on whether or not there is a leg set that goes with this harp to increase its height (it's only 42in) and I don't want to use a strap to play it. It's pricey too, but in the long run well worth it, if it will save my back and shoulders from heavy lifting.    

• Jessica
      Jessica Wolff

I know what you mean--it's an awkward size, too large for a lap harp and too small for a floor harp. Unlike the Delight, which is fashioned after the larger 38-string wooden harp, this harp was not fashioned after the 36-string wooden harp, the Sylvan. Apparently it's supposed to cover some of the territory of the vanished lap harp.

• Michaela
      Michaela Braveman

Gloria: Did you by chance check with Dave whether or not the Inifinity 36 could be played by attaching a knee bone cross-bar of some sort? I own a lap/therapy as well and like you, I don't care for the strap so I use a knee bone instead and it works great. I suspect the reason for the slightly bigger size is related to the 36 stings. This might be smallest they can build without compromising range.

• Jennifer
      Jennifer Buehler

I don't know why there aren't any pictures but yes there is a leg.  It also comes standard with the strap.  The leg is retractable and has a bar accross the bottom.  One of the best stories I have heard about this harp is that someone left hers in her car for 4 days with no ill effects!

Jennifer

• HarpGlo
      HarpGlo Jean

Thanks Jennifer for letting us know that the Heartland Infinity comes with an internal retractable leg, (sounds similar to my Ravenna 26), that's great!  I don't understand why they don't show that on their website, or in the description of the harp.  And, yes, I've heard they are super durable with respect to leaving them in your car, or taking them on the beach.....hmmmm, okay, time to start saving those dollars...

• Shelby
      Shelby M

The BEACH?  Ooooh, that sounds just lovely...! blissfully starts imagining someone playing the harp to the rhythm of the waves If somebody ever has a beach-front harp concert on their Infinity, be sure to let me know!

• Karen
      Karen Agabin

My teacher from the UK has played a carbon fiber floor harp (though not Heartland) and she says it was great from a weight and transport standpoint.

However, when she was playing anything fast or loud, due to the lack of weight it almost tipped over so it annoyed her. Can't win em all I guess.

• Kate
      Kate Hopkins

I had the opportunity to play both at a conference. I found that the larger had better overall tone, but the size of the 36 string made it very appealing. In regards to the drop down leg...I found it too unstable, as the light harp would wobble some while being played, I play floor harp and have never used a strap however the strap was very comfortable.

• Jan
      Jan Fetty

Thank each one of you for your input.  I still hope more people can respond to this topic.

Jan

• Jan
      Jan Fetty

I have considered the 42" model as well, but like you, I don't want to use a strap, or for that matter, even the stick.  At the one workshop I was fortunate enough to attend, I believe Pamela Bruner placed her Dragonheart on a short table draped with a lovely cloth.  I guess that would be do-able, but somehow I don't think that would get it for me with the 42" model.  Sure wish those harps were less expensive. 

• HarpGlo
      HarpGlo Jean

Yes, I do too, they are just a bit too pricey at this point.  And, if the "Infinity" (42. in. model) has a drop down leg that's not completely stabilizing the harp, then it's just not for me.  I think Dave Woodworth needs to design a leg set for that harp, similar to the Ravenna harps, at least that would provide more weight and stabilization.

• Ann
      Ann Seward

If I wanted an easy-transport harp, I'd seriously consider Blevins Glenwood 34 or Meadowind 34 or 36. All of these weigh around 15 pounds, only a bit more than the carbon fibre, narrower than Heartland, and made of real wood. Blevins makes feet, stands, knee bones, etc for whatever ergonomics you need, just ask.

How often are you really going to mistreat your harp so badly that it needs to be impervious to salt spray, winter sleet and summer car-ovens? Besides, you can buy 3 Blevins for the price of one Heartland CF. Wreck one, buy another. :-8

The sound of Blevins harps, judging by their online clips is excellent, clear and even, especially the MeadoWind. That's my favorite for sound.

True, the Heartland CFs are beautiful and sound quite sweet. Personally I found the shape and reach a bit awkward. But they are lovely harps. For myself, I just couldn't justify the cost/benefit. I'd be much more likely to buy a Blevins MeadoWind.

• Pat
      Pat Eisenberger

I was rather impressed with the sound of the carbon fiber harps. I saw Dave at a workshop, and he explained how it was made. He even said he wanted to have a picture taken of it being played in a river! I asked him if a "nick" in a painted harp could be repaired - he said "yes" and that I could take it to an auto body shop for paint repairs... He then preceded to lift one in the air about two feet and drop it. It bounced a little but was solidly intact. Impressive!

• Jan
      Jan Fetty

Dave and Pamela have posted a harp sampling.  I found it very difficult to distinguish between any of the four carbon fibre harps  and the wood harp.  Can you?   http://www.heartlandharps.com/harptasting1.html

• HarpGlo
      HarpGlo Jean

Wow! that was really difficult to differentiate between which harp was wood, or carbon fiber, and I failed that test!...such a lovely sound they all have!

• harp
      harp guy

Wow! That was more difficult than I expected (even though I guessed correctly, and didn't have too much trouble). But either way I'm really impressed. The wood one seemed to have more tone whereas the carbon fibre harps have more attack/articulation.

• Jessica
      Jessica Wolff

I guessed correctly too, and I think the tone of the wooden harp has it over the carbon fibre.

• Deb
      Deb L

I got 4 out of five!  Nice sounding harps but I'd rather have the subtle nuances that come from natural substances like wood harps and gut strings, even with the drawbacks.  I think if you were playing them in person the differences would be more noticeable.